Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2007-04-16 04:24:14

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

"duke box" for juke box

Just stumbled upon this one, and searching google for the phrase “on the duke box” turns up a bunch more. (Googling that whole phrase in quotation marks weeds out a lot of misses and puns)

I guess it’s not an eggcorn, since I can’t figure out what people think “duke” could mean in this context, but then again duke is a more familiar word than juke, and juke seemingly makes even less sense.

#2 2007-04-16 11:11:21

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "duke box" for juke box

I wondered whether ‘dukes’ meaning ‘hands’ might have something to do with it, but only briefly. It might be a bit of hyper-correction I suppose, as the ‘j’ sound seems easier to commence words with than the ‘d’ – juress (duress) has 29 ghits, juality 637 and jubious 1,970 for example. (One of the first songs I ever heard on a juke box went, “Dook of Earl, dook dook, Dook of Earl…” and that made no sense either. Still doesn’t.)

Board footer