Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-04-16 16:01:30

jorkel
Eggcornista

Idle chatter (A stealth eggcorn?)

“idle chatter” has an in-the-language meaning of “prattle” or “idle talk.” Clearly with the invention of online chat rooms, these words take on a new meaning—refering to a person rather than the activity. Perhaps it is not grammatical incorrect to speak about “an idle chatter” or even “an idle chat,” but I don’t believe these words got juxtaposed by coincidence: I think the existence of a prototype had much to do with it.

James Van PraaghIf chatters do not confirm an idle chatter’s whereabouts and there is not a response from the idle chatter(s) to the Op’s prompting within 2 minutes, ...
www.vanpraagh.com/guidelines.cfm – 38k – Cached – Similar pages

2006 July « Scratchie’s WorldThen again I called this an idle chatter post so I guess I am a part of that group too…. July 13th, 2006 Posted by scratchie | Uncategorized | 10 Comments …
scratchiesworld.wordpress.com/2006/07/ – 25k – Cached – Similar pages

IdealBB.NET – View PostI thought we could have an idle chat thread, for the quiet moments on the board when no one is thinking about gardening. Tell us a bit about yourself, ...
www.rhs.org.uk/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=4395 – 191k – Cached – Similar pages

PODZINGER RSS ALERT – chatAnd eating includes the axles site it’s not———like frank like it actually has a Wexler and I will form a works like an idle chat with the Bible …
www.podzinger.com/rss.jsp?q=chat&s=PZSI … p&il=en… – 16k – Cached – Similar pages

My Experiences with Web StandardsThe conversation that I have alluded to started out as an idle chat about web development in general. At that point I was doing some early exploratory work …
webstandards.psu.edu/articles/experiences/ – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

perl.com: Reports from YAPC 19100… instead happened upon what apparently started out as an idle chat with Larry and Sean Burke and mjd and a few others, and became this mad informal panel …
www.perl.com/pub/2000/07/yapc19101.html – 33k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer