Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-04-20 07:45:22

marykmac

"unslightly bulges"

“Unslightly bulges” rather than “unsightly bulges”, presumably based on the the idea that … well, that the bulges in question aren’t slight, rather than because they are displeasing to the sight!

250 hits on Google, many of which seem to be semi-professional advertising copy from sites selling clothing.

#2 2007-04-20 11:20:07

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "unslightly bulges"

I came up with 13,900 Google hits for “unslightly.” Most seem to use it as if it were synonymous with “unsightly.” I find this really puzzling because “unslightly” seems to be a more complex word than “unsightly.” I don’t have the foggiest idea of what’s going on in the utterers’ head. At any rate, I thought it might be instructive to have a few examples to hash over…

Irons & Steamers at MSN ShoppingSay goodbye to unslightly wrinkles and leave behind… More annoying ironing chores with the lightweight 1500W Quick Steam Professional. In just 60 seconds, ...
shopping.msn.com/results/shp/?bCatId=5152,minPrice=80,maxPrice=129.99 – 90k – Cached – Similar pages

HELP! – How do I get rid of my unslightly yellow fingernails ...”HELP! – How do I get rid of my unslightly yellow fingernails?” – Find the answer to this question and millions more on Yahoo! Answers UK.
uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060615054628AAqpTI9 – 209k – Cached – Similar pages

Covering up Tattoos and other unslightly blemishes for the Wedding …Thinkwedding’s Public Service Articles about wedding planning,family relationships, time management, money management,wedding budgeting, etc.
www.thinkwedding.com/Art-Ceremony2.htm – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

Soft top | no elastic socks… socks are designed to provide a gentle, yet secure grip, so your socks stay up as long as you do, without leaving unslightly constriction lines. ...
www.nu-worlds.com/acatalog/No_Elastic_Socks.html – 129k – Cached – Similar pages

eBay: Watch Bra Clear Crystal Guard 31mm fits Omega & Others (item …They protect your watch crystal like no product ever before with no unslightly rubber bands The easiest way to describe WatchBras are like the static cling …
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330110221938&ih=014&category=10363&rd=1 – 92k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2007-04-20 11:27:22)

#3 2007-04-20 12:58:38

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "unslightly bulges"

For some reason, there are lots of “intrusive” l’s, r’s, and n’s in English. These letters tend to get inserted in places where they don’t usually exist – especially, it seems, in words that already have an l, r, or n. (The opposite process happens, too – a word with two n’s may often have one deleted.)

For n’s, there’s a discussion of the phenomenon right here on the Database, in the article on “inherent>>inherit.” That article also has links to a Language Log post with more info:

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/550/inherit/

For r’s, there’s a short and very accessible post on a phonology blog here:

http://camba.ucsd.edu/phonoloblog/index … /#comments

I haven’t seen a comparable discussion of l’s, but it’s easy to find examples on the Web. Think of a longish, somewhat learned word with at least one l in it, and then try inserting another l in a place where the pronunciation seems to remain reasonably comfortable and natural. Then google your phonological Frankenstein. You’ll be amazed how often you get decent hits. I just got 620 raw ghits for “parlallel,” 207 for “triblulations,” and 2 for “alleglorical.” And even words without l’s will sometimes work – 76 ghits for “hablitat.”

Of course, I don’t mean to imply by this that any word with l-insertion is not eggcornish. In fact, this process may enable the formation of some eggcorns. I really like “unslightly,” especially with regard to bulges.

Board footer