Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-04-21 01:16:28

sheiman

By and large

Folks,

I keep hearing “by and large,” meaning “for the most part” and it keeps driving me crazy. Is not the correct/original phrase “by en large”?

thanks,
Michelle

#2 2007-04-21 08:21:46

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: By and large

Welcome to the eggcorn website. One thing you can do at this point is click on the “Eggcorn Database” option on the red menu bar above. From there, click on the “Browse eggcorns” option and scroll down. The list is alphabetical, and the corresponding entries have been prepared by individuals with a language expertise.

The one thing to keep in mind about eggcorns is the old saying: Nothing is obvious to the uninformed. Our personal language usage is shaped by what we perceive as proper. I’ve posted many eggcorns on this site where I wasn’t sure which was the standard usage and which was the eggcorn. For instance, check my recent posting (below) which my wife corrected me on several years ago…

DISECT a frog (dissect) by jorkel Contribute! 0 Yesterday 07:01:05 by jorkel

Last edited by jorkel (2007-04-21 08:28:23)

#3 2007-04-21 21:26:10

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: By and large

The Database article for “by enlarge” is here: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/234/by-enlarge/

Prof. Zwicky’s comment to his own article is also worth reading.

Board footer