Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-07 15:34:52

Lisa

anal ATTENTIVE (retentive)

To me, my own dear brother has applied the label of “anal attentive.” I think it’s charming, even though it isn’t what he meant. I think of it as a trait of being overly attentive to your own backside!

#2 2007-05-07 21:59:30

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: anal ATTENTIVE (retentive)

This one’s pretty good. The original meaning of the term “anal retentive”—in the realm of psychology—seems rather tenuous and may lead the average person to scratch his head and wonder what exactly that development stage has to do with a propensity to having things orderly and such. Over time, the “anal” part seems to have evolved into a high-tech way of calling someone an a-hole. (Others may associate “anal” with “analytical” in a derisive way, but I think this is less the case). But moreso than any of that, the substitution “attentive” is focussed on the issue of attention to detail. Even the first couple examples below make this connection explicitly. A really nice eggcorn in my opinion… with over 2000 Google hits, by the way.

Trouble, Trenchcoats & Femmes Fatales Notes from the Staircase …With a screenplay by Wilder and Raymond Chandler, and the casting of Edward G. Robinson as the anal attentive-to-detail claims adjuster who doesn’t trust …
www.murderoutthere.com/Filmnoir.html – 49k – Cached – Similar pages

[PDF] Berkeley Journal of International Law 2007 Board Election …File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
In conclusion, I will be a dedicated and fun AE who is anal-attentive to. detail and who will do her best to promote younger members. PUBLICATION EXPERIENCE …
www.law.berkeley.edu/journals/bjil/docu … 202007.pdf – Similar pages

Poway Bernardo Mortuary is NOT fully staffed in Family Plots in …From the show he does seem to be a little stressed at work, maybe anal attentive, but other than that, he was mostly seen in the background working, ...
boards.aetv.com/thread.jspa?threadID=800001561 – 65k – Cached – Similar pages

North Vancouver Politics.com: Holiday Post #2: DARRELL MUSSATTO …... more to push council in the right direction than any of us sitting at the computer with our anal attentive analysis…thank god for people like him. ...
northvancouverpolitics.blogspot.com/2005/07/holiday-post-2-darrell-mussatto-next.html – 86k – Cached – Similar pages

Comments on: Thermals – A Pillar of Salt (Whitey McConnaughy)I hear Owen Wilson is pretty anal attentive. Him and Brian should hang out. ]]> http://www.shotsringout.com/?p=68#comment-974 Wed, 30 Aug 2006 03:24:34 …
www.shotsringout.com/?feed=rss2&p=68 – 6k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

The Sakaiatrist’s CouchAlmost degrading, but Borders, I applaud your anal attentive, organized events. this is basically what I was seeing. Oh, and even though I got there alone, ...
sakaiatrist.blogspot.com/ – 61k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2007-05-07 22:01:41)

Board footer