Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-09 22:09:39

lboy

Coleslaw / Cold slaw

Sometimes there are eggcorns right under your nose and you just can’t see them. My wife (cold slaw) and I (coleslaw) have been arguing about this one for years. I can’t get her to see the light. It wasn’t until today that I realised that this was an eggcorn.

Obviously, I’m correct about the spelling.

“Cole slaw (cold slaw) got it’s name from the Dutch ‘kool sla’ – ‘kool’ is cabbage and ‘sla’ is salad – meaning simply, cabbage salad. In English, that became ‘cole slaw’ and eventually ‘cold slaw’. The original Dutch ‘kool sla’ was most likely served hot.” http://www.foodreference.com/html/fcoleslaw.html

Results of about 1,620,000 for coleslaw
Results of about 1,020,000 for cole slaw
Results of about 19,800 for cold slaw
Results of about 519 for coldslaw

So that means that about 7% of the hits use “cold” instead of “cole”. A fair number of people.

I also paired the “cold” variations up with UK, Britain and Australia to see if the trend was trans-oceanic. It is. Although it’s far more prevalent in the US.

#2 2007-05-10 10:25:18

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Coleslaw / Cold slaw

Arg! You beat me to it! Months ago I posted Scalp potatoes, Rice peeloff, and Stuff peppers—and I had just written a note to myself to add Cold slaw! ...Even so, your eggcorn is nicely presented.

Board footer