Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-11 11:52:16

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

bare/barer for bear/bearer

I’d be a bear-faced liar (86 ghits) if I claimed this putative eggcorn as my own; such a bear-faced lie (511 ghits) would mean I could not bear my soul (28,200 ghits) to the scrutiny of even those who bare no malice (289 ghits) and bare no ill-will (698 ghits). To get to the bear bones of (767 ghits) the matter, I had bearly set foot (3 ghits) into this jungle before the right to bare arms (69,800 ghits) gave me paws for thought (I’ll check that one later).
lboy’s recent post on ‘the bear of bad news’ is the inspiration for this one; there I suggested that “barer of bad news” might also be an eggcorn, but as you may have gathered from the previous paragraph I am beginning to entertain some doubts, as the bare/bare/barer/bearer confusion abounds to such a degree that I can no longer see the would from the trees.
Here are a few examples: –

The right to bare arms is fundamental. Any government which tries to curtail this right is behaving in a fascist manner and should be resisted by all …
mwillett.org/Politics/bare-arms.htm – 7k – Cached

I bare no ill will towards the members of the royal family personally and I have little interest in their behaviour so long as it stays within the bounds of …
www.throneout.com/comments.asp?STORY_ID … corprod=86 – 30k – Supplemental Result – Cached

After my experience (or lack of it with Virgin Mary) I bare no malice to any girl called Mary. The following poems are for girls called Mary. HAIL MARY …
fabfrogwords.blog.ca/2007/03/01/hail_mary~1828313 – 33k – Cached

I am now 19 and have bearly set foot in a club because of the fear of assult which I seem to be prone too! At these raves it is organised well and safe so …
www.happyhardcore.com/forums/topic.asp? … hichpage=1 – 88k – Supplemental Result – Cached

Date: 04-01-07 21:24 True he was pretty clear on Rugby Club and Midlands Today about staying at Worcs He will look like a bear faced LIAR if he goes now …
www.sportnetwork.net/boards/read/s130.p … 27&sid=130 – 131k – Supplemental Result – Cached

Research, notes, maybe an outline, but usually I start writing up skeleton chapters directly from my notes, so that I can get the bear bones of the story up …
alex.wrywriter.com/?page_id=17 – 24k – Cached

... one would think common sense would have somehow seeped into my brain by this time. No more of that crap for me Thanks for letting me bear my soul. ...
www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-tal … lost.html 104k – Cached

bq.

#2 2007-05-11 12:57:41

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: bare/barer for bear/bearer

Don’t let all those other variations discourage you on this one, Peter. Yes, many of them are either misspellings or intentional puns, but the one that really sticks out as an eggcorn is the one you mentioned on a previous thread: “barer of bad news.”

Granted, it too could be a misspelling or a pun on occasion, but I’m convinced that someone, somewhere literally intended those very words at some time, and they constitute an eggcorn.

The imagery of “barer of bad news” is apt. Bad news is often kept under wraps, and it sometimes takes someone with the determination to “lay it bare.” Hence, the “barer” of bad news exposes it to the light. Whence, an eggcorn.

Examples:

Yahoo! Answers – Can someone help me?The mark is awful, this make me don’t dare to wear clothing that expose those part. ... sorry to be the barer of bad news but stretch marks are permanent. ...
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070427073558AAHVA9s – 86k – Cached – Similar pages

www.myspace.com/ctu_buchananI do know I hate Noah and i will do all I can to expose him and Lennox! ... Bill, I hate to be the barer of bad news, but word from the white house is that …
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=69671131 – 169k – Cached – Similar pages

How to Communicate Bad NewsHaving to be the barer of bad news is a job that most of us would like to avoid, but when its something we must do, chose the right time and place, ...
www.entertainmates.com/conversation/con … ps_028.asp – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

Reader’s Comments: Qantas still a target – NEWS.com.auHate to be the barer of bad news but it’s all over and with our political blessing. Posted by: Sparky of Melbourne 12:38pm today Comment 3 of 6 …
www.news.com.au/comments/0,23600,21684538-1702,00.html – Similar pages

Collective ConversationLONDON—No one likes to be the barer of bad news. But that’s no excuse for the consistently horrible way that redundancies are communicated. ...
blogs.hillandknowlton.com/tags/Change+Management/default.aspx – 66k – Cached – Similar pages

eBay Answer Center: Trading Assistant vs. “I SOLD IT” & ...Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but I am 100% certain that this is the law. Companies such as ISoldIt and other scammers are the reason for such a law… ...
answercenter.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1000029538&mod=1178722350728 – 46k – May 10, 2007 – Cached – Similar pages

“Degrassi: The Next Generation” Goin’ Down the Road: Part 2 (2005)-I’m sorry to be the barer of bad news, I’m only trying to help. Was the above comment useful to you? more. Message Boards Discuss this title with other …
www.imdb.com/title/tt0557353/ – 34k – May 10, 2007 – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2007-05-11 13:08:20)

#3 2011-12-23 11:43:14

burred
Eggcornista

Re: bare/barer for bear/bearer

One of Peter’s variants was seen today on the ecolog listserv, describing someone’s plans to map the occurrence of blood-sucking insects worldwide.

A really bear-bones mockup would be to fill up a spreadsheet like this…

Board footer