Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2007-05-15 16:00:35

Techwreck

pine comb for pine cone

Although patschwieterman has previously posted “honey cone” for honeycomb, I haven’t found a posting for “pine comb” as a replacement for pine cone. I think the imagery supporting the substitution of comb for cone is fairly clear – the scales on the pine cone seem to provide the impetus to call it a “comb” because of their arrangement and their general similarity to the teeth in a comb. “Pine cone” gets 7.52K hits, while “pine comb” gets 1.7K hits.

I might have had the pine comb come in from a different angle, ... (well maybe pine comb more central?) but the photo seems to be too great to be a warning …www.deviantart.com/deviation/19162177/

Will a pine comb grow into a tree if u just plant it? i have a bunch of pine combs from my vacation at south dakota and want to grow the trees they came from.need advice on what to do to get them to …answers.yahoo.com/question/index?

Then, from her pocket she took a pine comb and a shovel. ... Then she took the pine comb from her mother’s hand and placed it gently in the ground. ...authorandrea.blogspot.com/ – 85k

#2 2007-05-15 16:53:22

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: pine comb for pine cone

Nicely done! Kids almost always have experience with a comb before they encounter a pine cone, and you clearly spell out the physical similarities.

I’m just surprised that you found this eggcorn right under our noses! Kudos!

Last edited by jorkel (2007-05-15 21:14:48)

#3 2007-05-16 01:41:22

tannerpittman

Yeah – good one. I actually remember thinking that the “fir cones” in Poohsticks were called “fir combs” when I was a boy. Because I only knew about pinecones, not fir cones, as the denizens of the 100-acre woods called them.

Even today, every time I’ve got a hankerin to play me some Poohsticks, it’s combs that come to mind.

And that’s all, of course, b/c I never get around to playing Poohsticks.

#4 2007-09-25 16:48:24

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Looking through photos last night searching for a baby picture of the oldest (for the school yearbook), I found a picture of her at age 2, trying to comb her hair w/ a “pine comb.”

#5 2014-07-03 17:53:55

kem
Eggcornista

Arnold Zwicky recorded pinecomb << pinecone in an early Language Log post. He says that it was noted by Diane Rainaud in the STUMPERS-L listserv.

#6 2014-07-04 21:11:45

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Techwreck, thanks for bringing back old memories of when I (and, I think, all the other kids I knew) used the term “pine comb”. I’d forgotten about that.

Board footer