Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-15 22:00:23

elliott

"run on joke" for "running joke"

“its a run on joke that he always has to wear a hawaiian shirt to parties”

in a livejournal community: http://community.livejournal.com/indief … t725805160

#2 2007-05-16 09:16:53

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "run on joke" for "running joke"

Nice find. At first I thought this might simply be a malapropism: “Running” means “ongoing over a period of time,” and “run-on” means “continued without formal break.” But then I decided that “run-on” has a workable imagery which captures a more negative connotation: a sense that something has simply violated its limit of appropriate use. So now I’m thinking it might be an eggcorn.

Here are a few more sighting from Google…

“An Open Letter To My Now-Ex-Beirut Partner” by Mike Kennard on …We’re a laughing stock, a run-on joke, a goddamn circus act. People crowd around the table to watch us play not because they came to see a couple of …
www.collegehumor.com/article:1701025 – 32k – Cached – Similar pages

Consumating: Search conversations for glasses”CSI: Miami! Caruso with his not-so-witty one-liners followed by putting on sunglasses and the “BWAAAAAAH!” has become something of a run-on joke to me. ...
www.consumating.com/weekly/conversation … ry=glasses – 31k – Cached – Similar pages

AtomFilms: The Morning GuyLOL that guys annoying…. true, it is a run-on joke but still keeps you entertained. Anonymous1/24/06. a long one joke film. Dustin Manning1/24/06 …
www.atomfilms.com/film/morning_guy.jsp? … tic_comedy – 161k – Cached – Similar pages

Amazon.ca: Eddie Murphy Raw: Video: Robert Townsend,Eddie Murphy …For 90 minutes it is one long run on joke that gave me a few chuckles in between. Overall this is not as great as the reputation states. ...
www.amazon.ca/Eddie-Murphy-Raw-Robert-T … 6300989011 – 64k – Cached – Similar pages

Sopranos Season 6.5- You’re Not Smart Enough To Appreciate It …It went from being exciting that it might happen to the most cliche thing they do week after week, at this point I’d say it’s a run on joke. ...
www.wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=58815&page=23 – Similar pages

Favorite (or not) Puzzle? [Archive] – Telltale Games Forums(dunno if you would call it a puzzle but it was a favourite of mine. Then well it just became one big long run on joke in the other games. ...
www.telltalegames.com/forums/archive/in … t-474.html – 11k – Cached – Similar pages

Amazon.com: Comment on this review… and on the other we have a shoddy steel suit, an annoyingly catchy theam song, and an unfunny run-on joke about a souflet (or however you spell it). ...
www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/disc … uthorID… – 42k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer