Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-24 23:05:07

Helena

I feel someone vindicated

I just saw someone use this phrase on a message board. I looked at it for a minute, thinking, “Is that a typo or an eggcorn?” and then googled and got four pages of hits. Some of those, of course, are used correctly in context, like “It’s great to see someone vindicated…” but a lot of them are eggcorns for “somewhat vindicated.”

the worst example:

“But Ferrara tries to argue that his fantasy beliefs have been someone vindicated by the voters who preferred Republicans.”

#2 2007-05-30 10:30:28

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: I feel someone vindicated

Welcome to the Eggcorn website, Helena. I’m struggling with the proposed eggcorn “feel someone vindicated.” As a point of departure, I located these potentially eggcornish usages…

Comments on: Sold!Adam, I guess you felt someone vindicated from those Jake Delhomme calls you get putting him in some elite status. He made some awful decisions. Hey Adam. ...
www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?feed=rss2&p=976 – 8k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Two Peas Message BoardAs it turns out, no one even touched her stupid salad so I feel someone vindicated, but she wouldn’t talk to me the whole afternoon. ...
twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/mb.asp?cmd=post&thread_id=2247649 – 98k – Cached – Similar pages
[ More results from twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com ]

Scribblings of the Metropolitician: April 2006- [ Translate this page ]Took people long enough to notice – but now I feel someone vindicated. Some folks out there on the ‘Net have called me a pervert for even pointing it out, ...
metropolitician.blogs.com/scribblings_of_the_metrop/2006/04/index.html – 372k – Cached – Similar pages

2 weeks to go. – Christian UC ForumsSo I feel someone vindicated in my laziness about not getting dipes sewn for myself (IMG:http://www.ChristianUC.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif …
www.christianuc.com/forums/index.php?sh … 1&view=old – 125k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Woot: The Community: Logitech Cordless Headset for XboxIf I can tie up $15 worth of someone’s time I’ll feel someone vindicated. To the credit of each company, woot was prompt with responses to my emails and the …
www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PageI … tID=821269 – 177k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Snackie’s World: February 2006It honestly made me feel someone vindicated (for lack of a better word) to learn that Shawn shares the same want and need to live BY OURSELVES that I do and …
snackiepoo.typepad.com/blog/2006/02/index.html – 129k – Cached – Similar pages

It sure sounds as if one could replace “someone” with “somewhat” and obtain a slightly different meaning—enough to be an eggcorn. But it also sounds as if the word “like” was left out after “feel” as an ellipsis.

On the other hand, I can’t seem to locate any other examples where “vindicated”—in the usage “feel someone vindicated”—is replaced with another adjective (or past participle). Very peculiar indeed. This seems to suggest that “someone vindicated” is growing toward idiomatic usage …and perhaps an eggcorn usage.

Board footer