Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-30 05:48:33

Ben

"Tailor off" for "tail off"

One of the managers at a staff meeting today mentioned that interest in a particular strategy had “tailored off”.

I’ve also found at least one example on the web: “Initially, this role will involve a lot of support but then this will tailor off into purely an engineering role.”

http://www.clickajob.co.uk/uk-jobs/Birm … ngham.html

regards
Ben

#2 2007-05-30 06:44:20

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "Tailor off" for "tail off"

Ben, looks like an eggcorn to me, complete with the alternative image of a tailor, scissors at the ready, meticulously finishing the job in hand. Googling “tailored off” gave 1,280 hits, many relevant, and “tailor off” had 1,680 with many, again, eggcornish. A nice find!
Peter

What happens when they start seeing subscriptions slow down, then begin to tailor off? It may only be a year or so down the road – you never know. ...
www.2old2play.com/modules.php?name=News … nd&sid=909 – 39k – Cached

“You can see the last five years the way the snow season has started to tailor off – we should be starting to get really busy.” ...
canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?story_id=480112 – 99k – Cached

I know we have the “big cat” sightings, but they seemed have tailored off recently. Any suggestions for a Caithness “Nessy”? ...
forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=6080 – 43k – Supplemental Result – Cached

Once the depression has lifted and things have been stable for a while, the drugs are then tailored off. Alternatively, they may be changed or stopped if …
www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/pos … ants.shtml – 31k – Cached

#3 2007-05-30 09:39:26

jorkel
Eggcornista

I was about to start a separate thread on a related topic: the difference between “tail off” and “trail off.” But, I wasn’t sure what needed to be said…

Google counts on May 30, 2007
120,000 “voice trailed off”
4280 “voice tailed off”—probably a malapropism or misusage rather than an eggcorn

“Tail off” means “to gradually lessen,” and “trail off” means “to become quieter.” I’m sure these two get interchanged all the time. For instance…

Gen Kanai weblog: Pooh and NikonMF His voice tailed off, and he shook his head vigorously trying to shake the sleep out through his ears. “What sort of bear are you, Pooh? ...
www.kanai.net/weblog/archive/2001/03/25/20h10m18s – 13k – Cached – Similar pages

The only imagery that would suggest an eggcorn to me would be a cartoon bubble where someone’s words get smaller and begin to take the shape of a tail, but I think this is a bit of a stretch.

(Sorry for the above side note. I really liked the “tailor off” eggcorn.)

Last edited by jorkel (2007-05-30 09:42:58)

#4 2007-05-30 11:38:14

Ben

Thanks for your prompt responses, folks! I’ve been hearing eggcorns for years, and didn’t consider them to be different from malapropisms until I read the piece in New Scientist magazine’s feedback section a year or so ago which defined eggcorns and provided some hilarious examples. Then I found this terrific website – yes, I do sometimes point my correspondents at these pages!

I’m in Ireland – people here pepper their conversation with eggcorns constantly. Expect more gems…

regards
Ben

Board footer