Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-03 17:05:06

SweetViolet

"kitten caboodle" and "spitting image"

My grandparents were born near the beginning of the 20th century and they were country folk, and I heard them use these phrases often…but in their correct forms, “kit and caboodle” and “spit and image.”

Today I more often see these phrases in writing than hear them, and curiously I see them written as “kitten caboodle” and “spitten/spittin/spitting image.”

Do these quality as eggcorns?

#2 2007-06-03 18:06:37

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "kitten caboodle" and "spitting image"

Wow. I wasn’t aware that the original was “spit and image,” but just googled it and it is.

#3 2007-06-03 23:30:05

SweetViolet

As a child I heard it as “spittin’ image,” but it didn’t make sense to me. Eventually I asked my grandfather what it meant, which caused a great deal of amusement, i.e., he was unable to correct my mis-hearing until he could stop laughing. The correct phrase didn’t make much sense to my child’s mind either, but making my grandfather laugh until he had to sit down…that stuck with me!

#4 2007-06-04 12:00:48

jorkel
Eggcornista

Hi SweetViolet; too bad you didn’t locate our eggcorn website sooner because your post is right on the mark. Here is some more discussion on the eggcorns you propose:

‘the whole kitten kaboodle’ for ‘the whole kit and caboodle’ by Elgee Contribute! 1 2005-11-15 13:02:21 by klakritz

Here’s the address for the Database article on “spitting image”
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/33 … ing-image/

The comments to that article are also worth looking at; the first, third and fourth comments there address the “splitting image” variant.

To avoid future duplication within this Eggcorn Forum, you can click on “Search” in the red menu bar above and enter a key word. To locate items already in the Eggcorn Database, click on that in the red menu bar above, then “Browse eggcorns.” The database has an alphabetic listing.

Happy hunting!

Last edited by jorkel (2007-06-04 12:06:29)

#5 2007-06-04 20:50:14

klakritz
Eggcornista

Looking at ‘kitten caboodle’ prompted me to search for ‘kitchen caboodle.’ It’s common but almost always used deliberately as the name of a store that sells cookware.

On the other hand, ‘kitsch and caboodle’ is rare, but looks like a genuine eggcorn.

Board footer