Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-04 07:15:33

MartyArtie

Foil-proof for foolproof

Can’t find this one in the database, but amid the google hits referring to printing on foil there are quite a few examples of foolproof->foil proof in the wild, which would make sense as an eggcorn if people believe something “foil-proof” is incapable of being foiled …

Jim told him he was planning an elaborate, foil-proof, plan to fake his own demise
www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=149467

The system isn’t 100% foil proof but someone has to start somewhere.
http://www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011162.html

No method of contraception is completely foil proof, therefore each party must assume some responsibility if a pregnancy occurs.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/24 … st353.html

(why does this last one make me wince …)

Last edited by MartyArtie (2007-06-04 07:17:03)

#2 2007-06-04 11:34:53

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Foil-proof for foolproof

That’s a really nice find. I’ve struggled with eggcorn-like terms akin to one you’re presenting. On the one hand, “foil-proof” is a completely legitimate word in it’s own right, but on the other hand it seems to be subliminally inspired by the word “foolproof.” I still haven’t decided whether we should call these borderline cases “eggcorns” or something else.

By the way, I talked about this topic a little bit in the following post…

Words with close sound and meaning. by jorkel Eggcornology 6 2007-04-13 06:20:22 by tannerpittman

Here are some of the other phrases of close sound and meaning that I struggled with…

An incisive remark
An insightful remark

Expound on a topic
Expand on a topic

Is weary of
Is wary of

Speak eloquently
Speak elegantly

Study intensely
Study intently

Under the pretense of
Under the pretext of

Last edited by jorkel (2007-06-04 11:40:37)

Board footer