Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-04 07:40:12

MartyArtie

Wantingly for wantonly

This does appear in the database, but only as part of Jorkel’s entry on promogate for promulgate:

This is not to say the individuals in the health field promogate medical issues wantingly- but are trapped in the industries trap. ...
drumsnwhistles.com/2006/03/30/adhd-overdiagnosis/

It seems to be a reinterpretation of the “self-indulgent” sense of wanton as “something you are doing because you are wanting to, something you are doing in the manner of someone wanting it, regardless of the consequences”. Other Google examples are

WGA is intended to fight pirates who willingly and wantingly run a pirated copy
blog.forret.com/2006/06/ lobster-and-vista-on-a-mac/feed/

All information on this site was obtained from public sources and does not knowingly or wantingly break any national or international laws or conventions
www.eurofighter-typhoon.co.uk/disclaimer.html

Israel does not have a policy of wantingly killing innocents …
www.sfdebate.org/debates/240407.php

Sometimes the writer probably just means “with desire/want”, with some leakage from “wantonly” influencing their choice of (non)word …

What would happen if he actually starts some harmless flirting and bantering with a good-looking woman? Unless he actually makes a 360 degree about-turn with his gaze fixed on her and glancing wantingly at her butt as she sashays on …
http://www.kloudiia.com/117/fiona-xie-reloaded-2/

although there are uses of this non-word in ways where I haven’t a clue what the writer means …

In “Erotic and Mythic Visions,” Finke takes on the question of Chekhov’s own sexuality (explored wantingly in Donald Rayfield’s 1997 biography)
muse.jhu.edu/journals/modern_drama/ v049/49.2sherbinin.html

Last edited by MartyArtie (2007-06-04 07:45:28)

#2 2007-06-04 11:46:09

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Wantingly for wantonly

Really nice find MartyArtie, and I give you full credit for it: I was completely unaware that my post had multiple eggcorns within it! (And, believe me: this isn’t the first time something like this has happened!)

This does appear in the database, but only as part of Jorkel’s entry on promogate for promulgate:

Nice explanation for the eggcorn, also.

Board footer