Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-05 22:33:43

klakritz
Eggcornista

'revenated' for 'renovated'

Maybe I’m seeing signs of intelligence where there’s only bad spelling, but this substitution makes sense; e.g., a renovated (or revenated) apartment will become a revenant to the housing market. 200+ ghits. Examples:

Newly wired, polished timber flooring, 2 large bedrooms, revenated kitchen and bathroom, views from the verandah out to sea.
www.refind.com.au/realestate/Qld/Boonooroo

Milwaukee has and continues to revenate several warehouses, old breweries, etc. into gorgeous condos, restaurants, etc. on the river and lake.
www.city-data.com/forum/knoxville/76344 … ut-ut.html

As a recent hostess of the Super Bowl, much of the downtown has been revenated through new parks and buildings and along with some street repair.
www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~erohan/sprawl.htm

This site has also been revenated for faster loading as well as for easy to use.
sewanhaka.k12.ny.us/~shslibrary/

20 MINUTES FROM FABULOUS ATLANTIC CITY 30 MINUTES FROM HISTORIC CAPE MAY This totally revenated and profestionally decorated beachfront property …
semanticsearcher.com/search/1/%5Bitem%20type:%20vacation%20rentals%5D%20Ocean%20City%20New%20Jersey%20USA%20

I am getting a newly revenated deluxe room at Bally’s ($250 for 3 nights)...
forums.lasvegasadvisor.com/messageview.cfm?catid=17&threadid=233300&forumid=1

#2 2007-06-06 09:37:19

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'revenated' for 'renovated'

This one reminds me a little of the eggcorning of “remunerate” to “renumerate”—in that we see the switching of two consonants separated by a vowel. The latter word has a more familiar imagery to some utterers, and the eggcorn is rather convincing.

For those not familiar with “revenant,” the MW definition is “one that returns after death or long absense.” And, by extension, one might define a verb “revenate” to mean something like “bring back (to life).” I think what we’ve got on our hands is a really cute malapropism since eggcorns seldom involve the substitution of a more familiar word with a less familiar one.

The mistake almost reminds me of how children sometimes say “aminal” when they mean to say “animal.” “Revenate” sounds like the adult version of such a mistake.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-06-06 09:40:39)

Board footer