Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-07 02:07:39

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Maybe sorta: "innocent bystandard" & "innocent by standard"

Just spotted this one, and there are lots of google hits, though some are people just using it as an online moniker.

“This poor guy was an innocent bystandard and first time APBT owner.”
http://otekguam.com/forum/index.php?topic=352.msg3207

“police kicked down the wrong door and a innocent bystandard was hurt. ”
http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_us/ … dden=false

Lots more like that. Wasn’t going to post here, but rather as a misshaping, since I couldn’t quite see alternate imagery… until I saw the following:
“Some of us see her as an innocent by standard.”
http://ilovebees.blogspot.com/2004/10/m … seful.html

“Innocent by standard” could perhaps indicate that this person thinks the expression means a person who has been or would be judged innocent by some statute or “standard.”

Last edited by Craig C Clarke (2007-06-07 11:05:50)

#2 2007-06-07 08:54:32

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Maybe sorta: "innocent bystandard" & "innocent by standard"

That’s an awesome find. The Google search pulled up 667, and the usage appears legitimate. I like your explanation of the imagery, too. In my first example below, an insurance hack uses the expression—and it’s not surprising that someone in that occupation would apply standards to their work.

I just find it totally bizarre that so many people are not familiar with the term “bystander.” (Perhaps they have only heard it on a TV cop show and never seen it in print). Even so, “standard” is probably a more familiar word, so the alteration goes in the right direction for an eggcorn.

InsuranceToGo: Free Quote : Long-TermBenefit applies to an innocent by standard of a terrorist act. Pre-certification refers to a contractual obligation on the part of the policyholder to …
www.insurancetogo.com/quotes/long_term.html – 1k – Cached – Similar pages

Iraqi AmericanThe Al-Qaeda have bombed school busses, killed police men, killed innocent by standard, and attached our holy places. Yet I don’t see any Iraqis taken to …
iraqi-dude.blogspot.com/2004_05_02_archive.html – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

ZG – 11-10 – Winterwolves ForumBy the way there was no sign up, because I was just an innocent by-standard, and it was just thrown together tuesday. Go to the top of the page …
www.winterwolves.org/forum/index.php?sh … 6&view=new – 73k – Cached – Similar pages

Trackshark.com – College Track & Field… check it. some kats who are offended by what i say i went to msum with. they know that i was an innocent by standard of fargo/moorhead and msum. yes you …
www.trackshark.com/blogs/starrroberts/1 … ts….html – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2007-06-07 08:56:03)

#3 2007-06-07 14:49:35

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Maybe sorta: "innocent bystandard" & "innocent by standard"

I’ve been thinking a bit more about the possible imagery. I’m wondering if it might be more along the lines of thinking that the person is so clearly innocent that the possibility of involvement is never even considered, that they are obviously innocent, innocent being the standard or default position… “innocent by default” = “innocent by standard.”

Or maybe I’m over-thinking this one.

Board footer