Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-07 16:44:18

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Self-defecating

I’ve got to stop listening to talk radio. Just heard a host refer to herself as self-defecating. Not as a joke, and not meant in relation to defecation.

Google finds others – obviously many jokes and puns, but some legitimate mistakes. I am not claiming this is an eggcorn, because I don’t even want to think about the possibilities as far as the imagery.

#2 2007-06-07 17:01:20

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Self-defecating

I could have sworn that this one had already been contributed, but I can find no sign of it. I must have been remembering this Language Log post by Mark Liberman from 2004 in which he discusses “self-defecating” in terms of “urban legend eggcorns”: http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language … 01394.html

It’s worth reading—like virtually any ML post on eggcorns (or anything else).

Last edited by patschwieterman (2007-06-07 17:04:28)

#3 2007-06-07 17:06:14

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Self-defecating

I almost fell off my chair laughing at that one. My impression is that it is indeed an eggcorn in many instances: There are probably a lot of people who would like to appear intelligent enough to use the term “defecate” as a euphemism, but their language sophistication ends when it comes to knowing what “self-deprecating” is.

The imagery of “self-defecating” works mainly on a figurative level—to mean self-defiling, self-debasing, or whatnot—so it’s far more sanitized than a literal interpretation.

Board footer