Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-17 10:21:13

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

"lone behold/ loan behold" for "lo and behold"

loan behold – 3,170 ghits
lone behold – 534 ghits

Already in the index is Sus’ recent “low and behold”; these variants make as much, or as little, sense – a solitary observation or revelation perhaps, or the astonishing materialisation of cash to be repaid at a later date…

I went to Leeds last year – early entry too so didn’t end up camping in a swamp…. but loan behold – it was the very field the riots started in – so there …
www.last.fm/group/United+Kingdom+Audios … 14/_/46021 – 42k – Cached

In the morning we came back to our kayaks along the shoreline, and loan behold: we found the first aid kit! But it had the letters “T.F.” scrawled upon it …
www.hooferouting.org/modules/newbb/view … pic_id=356 – 21k – Cached

Sitting in the backyard the other night, with a fire and a bottle of wine and we heard a rustling…lone behold, a good sized coyote comes about 10 feet …
glen-ellyn.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4716037172/m/8381016922 – 137k – Cached

I pulled the engine, pulled the carb, then manifold, and lone behold, i found a set of vice grips, and the old carb bracket. The bolt to the vice grips was …
www.camaros.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-69689.html – 11k – Supplemental Result – Cached

#2 2007-06-17 10:45:29

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "lone behold/ loan behold" for "lo and behold"

Peter: you got the Google hits switched. The actual numbers are:
538 “loan behold”
3200 “lone behold”

(and for reference…)
1,390,000 “lo and behold”
713,000 “low and behold”

I find “lone behold” to be a viable eggcorn because “lone” has much potential for interpretation. When I read “lone behold” it sounds like it might mean “the particular (lone) way things turned out.” But I’m not sure.

Here are a few more…

Comments on: Maryam Scoble with breakfast on September 17, 2006So I made my own pan cakes this morning for breakfast and lone behold.. they were really nice! [...] […] I watched a short video clip of Scoble’s breakfast …
scobleizer.com/2006/09/17/maryam-scoble-with-breakfast-on-september-17-2006/feed/ – 19k – Cached – Similar pages

Comments for Dragon PhoenixMy wife then asked him to look in his book and lone behold there were 10 side effects including kidney damage and hollowness of bone growth. ...
dragonphoenix.wordpress.com/comments/feed/ – 13k – Cached – Similar pages

Lucas Konopka [Archive] – dyestat.com Track Talkhaha mission accomplished. i just wanted to actually see how curious people wouild be and lone behold someone did actually look him up and get his state xc …
talk.dyestat.com/archive/index.php/t-50861.html – 19k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

doctor who series 3 epiosde 11 – “Utopia” 06/06/07 19:10 – Digital …Then lone behold, i watched Toy Story 2 and good god it didn’t half sound wrong. Especially when all you’ve heard for the past hour is American accents. ...
www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=596312 – 121k – Jun 16, 2007 – Cached – Similar pages

Ubersite – Buying a meal at KFC and the paranoia that comes with …I looked, and lone behold She still had her eyes on me. I looked around to see if there could be anything else She was staring at. No. Nothing. ...
ubersite.com/m/53277 – 19k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer