Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-17 22:42:36

klakritz
Eggcornista

'turn of office' for 'term of office'

The database already contains term -> turn, with the annotation “chiefly in ‘come to turns with.’” This new context for the substitution seems like a distinct reshaping and perhaps a more natural one, since it’s easy to construe successive holders of a public office as citizens taking their turns. “Turn limits’ for ‘term limits’ is also seen, but less frequently. Examples:

Probert (regarded by many as the wizard of the Park) whose turn of office was from 1935 to 1960.
www.crewe-nantwich.gov.uk/main.asp?page=66

As soon as the mayor has closed the auction and the purchaser of the card has implemented it, the mayor’s turn of office ends.
www.boardgamegeek.com/file/80/KVA.HTML

Isabella Moore, although her turn of office at BCC comes to an end this month, has kindly agreed to stay on the Task Force and continue to support us.
www.employersforapprentices.gov.uk/docs … _1_119.doc

... and the general desire to have in one’s time a turn of office is reckoned with by writers like Guicciardini and Giannotti as natural to a free citizen, ...
books.google.com/books?id=k_H0iHIhAZAC…

#2 2007-06-18 13:17:02

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'turn of office' for 'term of office'

I thought this title looked a bit familiar…

‘turn of office’ for ‘term of office’ by klakritz Contribute! 0 2006-07-01 08:01:29 by klakritz

Ken must have forgotten that he posted on this subject almost a year ago. Just thought I’d mention it for those interested in the additional examples he provided there.

#3 2007-06-18 23:32:29

klakritz
Eggcornista

Thanks Jorkel. I suppose I should apologize to someone for the repetition, but that someone would have to be me.

This looks like either senility or multiple personality disorder.

#4 2007-06-19 20:46:05

patschwieterman
Administrator

For years now, regulars on the forum have had the experience of finding that Ken Lakritz had beaten them to some interesting eggcorn. Now we find out that this happens even to Ken Lakritz himself….

Last edited by patschwieterman (2007-06-19 20:47:00)

Board footer