Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-19 21:58:16

jorkel
Eggcornista

Which eggcorns to enter the Database next?

Chris Waigl asked me to share the (strawman) list I sent to her. (But first, I reviewed the list and removed all those entries already in the database). The criteria I used to prepare the list were: How credible is the eggcorn? and How widespread is the eggcorn?

If any multiple-contributors think I’ve overlooked any of their best material, please speak up and we’ll add it in. After all: I compiled this list by quickly running through the 55 pages of the Forum, and there’s plenty I may have missed.

Proposed, Prioritized List
Cold slaw (lboy)
Bombfire (Peter Forster)
Disect (jorkel)
Vanila envelope (patschwieterman)
Pitch hitter (klakritz)
Got another thing coming (rachelm/Khomans)
Heroing experience (patschwieterman)
Pine comb (techwreck)
Indullable ink (jorkel)
Flamingo dancers (martyc35)
Boom/boon (klakritz/et al.)
Hand radio (patschwieterman)
Flee bargain (jorkel)
Blindsighted (brians)
Board stiff (Peter Forster)
Ultraviolent rays (jorkel)
Out of bounce (brians)
Wade in on debate (rorschach)
Lean on a property (jorkel)
Windshield factor (geocar)
Coal-hearted (klakritz)
Hardfelt (patschwieterman)
Perilized (jorkel)
Nudered (Craig C. Clarke)
Hardened fast rule (patschwieterman)
Hold up in (jorkel)
Sedimentary lifestyle (Craig C. Clarke)
Giga-counter (klakritz)
Devicive politics (jorkel)
Torturous path (mrchris516)
Obeast (xarglesdad)
Labtop (DavidHansson/etal.)
The 48 Continuous states (booboo)
Curve/curb (klakritz/et al.)
Elbone (Peter Forster)
Leopard/leper (seccotine)
Scalped potatoes (jorkel)
Expert ease (klakritz)
Honey cone (patschwieterman)
Heart of coal/gold (Peter Forster)
Mellowdrama (ntrueblood)
Melody/medley of hits (jorkel)
Vagueries (kthagen)
Marshmellow (Brenda M. Shaw)
Holdster (EBWilford)
Rear-of-you mirror (mal315)
Hints the name (Laurel)
Laxadaisical (klakritz)
Phoenician blinds (patschwieterman)
Midevil times (jorkel)
Pet-agree papers (maddog_frenzy)
Bit off more than he can choose (lisa-s)
Valentimes (Craig C. Clarke)
Eek out a living (Peter Forster)
Slide of hand (jorkel)
Magnifine glass (vwalton)
Disconcerning (damuraus)
Dire rear (peacefulmayhem/etal.)

#2 2007-06-20 00:17:33

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Which eggcorns to enter the Database next?

I think this is a really thoughtful and judicious list that does a good job of balancing very common eggcorns and those that are frequently submitted against those that are less obvious but of great interest in themselves. And whether intentionally or not, you do a pretty evenhanded job of spreading out the credit for finds. I also like the fact that you’ve got a number of my all-time favorites here—the lovely “flamingo dancers,” the unbelievable-but-documentable “dire rear,” and your own wonderfully ghoulish “scalped potatoes.”

I think everybody might submit a different list, but this seems to me an excellent starting point for discussion. I was thinking that I might also submit a random list of some of my favorites rather than those I think should be prioritized.

“Windshield factor” is already in the Database. And I think Nigel Pond was the first to suggest “torturous path.” And, um, I may have beaten you to “lean on a property.” And no doubt we’ll discover that Ken Lakritz actually deserves earliest credit for something…. But those are quibbles.

#3 2007-06-20 00:18:40

klakritz
Eggcornista

I applaud Jorkel’s hard work and the elegant list it has yielded. And I hope to create a list of my own one of these days- perhaps over august vacation.
At the risk of special pleading, I would encourage prospective list-makers to look at the now quiescent ‘comments’ thread that preceded the establishment of the Eggcorn Forum. A lot of the entries have been rediscovered here, but much remains.

#4 2007-06-20 01:46:15

patschwieterman
Administrator

I bet that there are people who are now regulars on the forum who don’t know what Ken Lakritz was referring to in that last post. If you go to the old “Contribute” page here http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/contribute/
and then scroll down about halfway, you’ll hit the end of the old “Comments” section that was supplanted by this forum. If you’ve never visited this part of the site, brace yourself—there are 746 comments to look through. Plenty of gems there.

#5 2007-06-20 06:18:39

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Even better, everyone should simply use the search function on the main page. Both find entries and comments. And the Google one also finds forum posts.

I really like Jorkel’s list—allow me to put up another list for comparison: Here are the top 59 search terms that have allowed visitors to find this site lately. The order of this web search hit parade varies: last year “planters warts” was all high up. For me, the search terms that currently lead to forum entries provide another criterion for proritisation: These are those the internet at large seems to be most interested in.

I’ve bolded the “to be entered” ones. Of course, some search terms aren’t eggcorns at all:

eggcorn
hydroseal
reknowned
pendantic <—?
eggcorns
alterior motive
lan line
pitch hitter
disconcerning
explanation point
ease dropping (though eggcornicity to be cleared up)
eggcorn database
for all intensive purposes
self richeous (though eggcornicity to be cleared up)
mine as well
for all intents and purposes
hunger pang
encourageable
intensive purposes
wayne s coating
waynes coating
touch bases
corroded artery
daschund pronunciation
richeous
strip throat
coming down the pike
without further adieu
half mass
free reign
sort of speak
intents and purposes
touch basis
pique your interest
lack toast and tolerant
full proof
social morays
halter monitor
rod iron fence
say la vie
death nail
beknighted
ease drop
learning curb
reap what you sew
haunta virus
coffee clutch
easedropping
without further ado
planters wart
whenst
air on the side of caution
per say
granola oil
pompous grass
glue wine
shoddy lymph nodes
self-richeous

#6 2007-06-20 07:44:00

jorkel
Eggcornista

Thank you all for the positive feedback so far. There’s so much good stuff out there that didn’t get on the initial list of 50+. (My starting list exceeded 200, and Pat pretty well summarized my intention at evenhandedness and the like). Please bring forth your own favorites. If you’re pressed for time, even a Top 10 list carries sway.

At this point, I’d like to hear from Peter and Craig as well.

Craig might let us know which of his own are his favorites, and maybe they can be worked in a little higher. Since he’s an active contributor, I’d like to see him get recognition with an entry in the top 10. Otherwise, he might be waiting a long while before any of his enter the Database.

I owe a big apology to Peter because I had forgotten that so many of his Eggcorns are based on British English usage. I’m in no position to judge what usages might be mainstream on his side of the Atlantic, and I might have jumped past a few of his eggcorns for that reason. Perhaps Peter or Chris could insert an apt one or two into the list.

Sorry for any unintended slights to anyone.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-06-20 16:58:42)

#7 2007-06-20 08:05:12

Dadge
Eggcornista

Full proof is on the database, as fullproof. I added it as a single word because the original is a single word, but the entry ought to show “full proof” as well.

“Pompous grass” – hmm, more of a cupertino than an eggcorn? (Anyone fancy writing an expert system to determine whether an error is an eggcorn, a malapropism, a cupertino or a typo?)

Seeing “Wayne’s coating” immediately sent me searching for “Dido rail” ! A

#8 2007-06-20 17:50:50

patschwieterman
Administrator

No need to invoke the Cupertino Effect in order to explain “pompous grass”—“pompous” and “pampas” are exact homophones for millions of Americans (including me and, I think, much of the populatiion of Cupertino, CA). Here’s the Merriam Webster pronunciation information for both words (the ampersand stands for the schwa):

Main Entry: pompous
Pronunciation: ‘päm-p&s

Main Entry: pampa
Pronunciation: ‘pam-p&, ‘päm-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural pampas /-p&z, -p&s/

#9 2007-06-20 23:09:38

booboo
Eggcornista

Oh, no! I’m gone for a week and miss a momentous event! My hat’s off to these newest inductees as they enter the database. More fun for everyone! I’ve recruited several family members to this wonderful site and I thank you all for the entertainment and education your work has yielded. What a good use for the web!

If I’m not too late, is “bear of bad news” going to make it? It has been a nearly endless source of humor in my household (always said in a growly voice, with arms waving. I look more like a bear, but my wife’s rendition is a hundred times funnier).

#10 2007-06-21 07:39:29

jorkel
Eggcornista

I think I skipped over “bear of bad news” in the haste of making split-second decisions; I seem to recall individuals still not thinking it was credible, but I liked it a lot. I just might add it to the list and let the gatekeepers decide—unless anyone is vehemently opposed to it.

By the way, booboo, I’m sure you can see your “48 continuous states” is on the list. If you felt you had an even stronger contender, please speak up. Or, if you’d like to sort through all 55 pages of Forum eggcorns and prepare a favorites list, you’re welcome to do that as well. I wish somebody would because I feel my list has lots of holes/oversights in it.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-06-21 08:03:07)

#11 2007-06-21 13:52:58

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I appreciate your concern Joe, but I’m just delighted that there is some movement at last and have no drum to bang about mainstream BrEnglish usage; I’m not even sure that there is such a thing since we have areas where the dialect changes noticeably within a few miles and some folk on this little island can still find each other mutually unintelligible.
I’ve had a quick dip into the forum but at the moment find it impossible to find a top ten, or even fifty, and little of my own seems particularly convincing. If pressed, I’d have to say I remain fond of ‘bowl of contention’ for some reason, and ‘Pampers grass’ for ‘pampas grass’ is notable for evidence that there really is someone out there who believes that nappies/diapers are actually made from this ornamental grass.
Incidentally, ‘bombfire’ for ‘bonfire’ has an earlier mention than mine as ‘bomb fire’ by siameez, so should be credited accordingly.

#12 2007-06-21 15:52:17

jorkel
Eggcornista

Peter’s had a lot of less-than-mainstream posts, but there are a few gems among his finds. Here are some that we might take a closer look at:

Google hits:
130,000 “cornel corn” (48 “cornel of corn”)
121,000 “excelerate”
2770 tiraid
1020 “haughty-taughty”
821 “the just of it” (and 997 “the jest of it” ... suggested by booboo)

#13 2007-06-23 08:47:37

MartyArtie

Having just seen it in print (in a clothing company brochure, which must have been proofread by several people before going out) I’d like to nominate “rest-bite” for respite to go into the database – I see it was first noted (by Philip Newton, who clearly wasn’t aware of BritEng pronunciation of the proper word) on these pages as long ago as February 2005, which is practically Pre-Cambrian in Eggcorn Forum terms.

Last edited by MartyArtie (2007-06-23 08:52:24)

#14 2007-06-23 21:47:57

jorkel
Eggcornista

“Restbit” was mentioned a couple/three times in the forum, and it just barely missed the cutoff of the list I posted. (Multiple independent mentions of the same eggcorn always bodes well with me, so I’m not opposed to moving it up in the list). I sure hope the gatekeepers have an efficient way of finding out who first uncovered these various eggcorns.

#15 2007-06-24 14:59:41

booboo
Eggcornista

Thanks, Jorkel, I did notice that continuous/contiguous made. I think it’s funny because, even though it’s the strongest case I have, it’s not very glamorous and didn’t get any comments. I suppose it’s the nature of the beast when you’re mining for eggcorns…. . I think I will try and peruse the forums again and see if I can suggest any more submissions before you go to print. At the risk of sounding self-centered, do you think ramsack/ransack should go in? I know it wasn’t nearly as common of an occurrence, but if it qualifies it is an entertaining one! Speaking of which….I’ve got to go look up flamingo dancers, now….I can’t wait to see if some of the imagery I’m anticipating is there. Hmm, I’m seeing a pattern with myself just now; animals. Bear of bad news, ramsack, flamingo dancers….I must confess, something about them does crack me up.

Anyway, jorkel, thanks for the inclusion and all the work you do. Talk to you soon!

#16 2007-06-24 19:04:21

jorkel
Eggcornista

Just to clarify a bit, booboo; I’m not linked with this website in an official capacity, so there’s really no need to thank me for anything. The real hard work is done by the gatekeepers who enter the eggcorns into the Database. For my part, I just try to make fair and rational recommendations, but it’s the gatekeepers who will have the final say.

#17 2007-06-24 19:36:46

Dadge
Eggcornista

jorkel wrote:

I sure hope the gatekeepers have an efficient way of finding out who first uncovered these various eggcorns.

Before each item is entered in the database, a search of this forum, the contributions section of the Database, Language Log and the English-usage newsgroups will be necessary.

A wider question is, should the uncovering extend to those people who’ve pointed out these errors in other places on the Net, and to people who’ve mentioned them in print? Maybe not at the moment, but I guess it ought to when someone gets around to compiling an Eggcorn Encyclopedia in book form.

#18 2007-06-25 01:46:29

patschwieterman
Administrator

I’ve been thinking about Dadge’s last question a lot in the last week because I’ve just turned up a number of malaprops and eggcorns that have never been reported here, but have been noted on other sites on the Web. Last night I posted on (the non-eggcorn) “reseeding hairline” which Katie Scarvey of the Salisbury Post had beaten me to, and I’ve got a number of others coming “down the pipe” in the next few days if I find the time.

Obviously we’re never going to be able to identify the first person who realized that a certain word or phrase was an interesting lexical error. Often when you’re eggcorn-hunting, you’ll turn up all sorts of intentional puns based on your target word, and it’s instantly clear that lots of other people have noticed it before you did. But I think the important thing is whether or not others have specifically and correctly identified a word/phrase as an “eggcorn.” If they’ve used that word, then that has to be acknowledged, and the passage should be cited or at least linked to in the Database article.

But that raises a problem. We here on the Eggcorns Forum have the quixotic and impossible goal of identifying every eggcorn in the language. As a result, we don’t want people to feel that a find isn’t worth writing up just because they discover that, say, Damien Hall of the American Dialect Society reported the substitution of “hoist” for “foist” last year on another site. (Yes, I’m working on the “hoist/foist” writeup.) Members should have at least a small incentive to keep bringing every eggcorn they run across to the attention of the Forum. So if an EF member writes up an eggcorn post that cites Damien Hall and the eggcorn then gets accepted into the Database, I think there should be some way of acknowledging that EF post in the Database article. Admittedly, this could lead people to go plunder, say, Language Log posts to come up with eggcorns that aren’t in the Database yet (there are tons of them at LL), but that doesn’t seem to me a big deal as long as everyone honestly cites their sources. Also, people who identify eggcorns on other sites often offer little or no analysis, so the EF post might usefully add to the understanding of the eggcorn.

Two years ago, this just wasn’t much of a problem. Everyone who was eggcorn-hunting online then was either a Language Log reader or someone who hung out at this site. If you ran across an eggcorn, you were probably the first person to notice it. Now the eggcorn concept has spread so widely that the Muggles are often beating us at our own game. But that’s okay—it’s a big language and we need all the help we can get.

Pat

#19 2007-06-25 22:07:56

booboo
Eggcornista

I appreciate the pluralistic approach offered here. It doesn’t bother me who gets credited with the eggcorn, I just enjoy reading about them. Yes, it is fun to contribute, I’ll not deny that. It’s also fun to be recognized. But if you wanted to put together a book, it wouldn’t offend me in the least if the explanation of how the words were accumulated was restricted to the context of the website and its mission. It’s a given that many participants are engaged in adding to the database. It is impossible to accurately credit each contributor. As a minor contributor myself, I would be more than satisfied with a general acknowledgement by the author (...I’d like to thank all the little people who helped make this a success, blah,blah, blah…..!) Of course, I’m sure you would want to give special honor to those whose efforts have distinguished themselves as having been above and beyond the call of eggcorn duty.

At any rate, I wanted you to know my opinion and I hope it proves to be more than just anecdotal. Please don’t let these things deter you from a good work. As a friend of mine said, “Don’t let the perfect become the enemy of the good!”

Highest regards,

Matt, a.k.a booboo

Board footer