Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-26 14:29:45

jorkel
Eggcornista

VALID DICTORIAN (valedictorian)

The Eggcorn Database already has “Valevictorian” as an eggcorn of “Valedictorian.” I think the variant I’m proposing here is a legitimate alternative, a distinct eggcorn.

The word “Valedictorian” derives from vale farewell + dicere to say, and the one who is the valedictorian is typically chosen to give the farewell address to his/her class.

The alteration “Valid Dictorian” suggests that there is some esteemed position, a “Dictorian.” Perhaps some utterers associate “dictorian” with someone who will dictate something (perhaps even give the commencement address). Or perhaps it’s just a nebulous position of status. But moreso than that, the qualifier “valid” implies a position which is truly earned through academic effort.

75 Google hits. Examples:

APStudent.com :: View topic – Class RankI thought it was Valid Dictorian, but w/e. Anyways, that’s totally gay cause there’d be TONS of people getting it each year since some people are taking …
www.apstudent.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t … 2343a93e2a – 78k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

SoundDomain: funny resumeI finished high school as a valid dictorian. with a 4.0 GPA. winnar! ... oh i missed something… that valid dictorian, her email addy is flutemistress lol …
www.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/ … 890/page/4 – 75k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

www.myspace.com/prfuryI… can’t wait. minutes feel like hours. and its really awesome because one of my best friends is valid dictorian, which makes me very happy. ...
www.myspace.com/prfury – 151k – Cached – Similar pages

JoeDios – JoeDios Dioramas, Photos, Reviews & Files – Class of ‘06I forgot to mention that the Valid dictorian of the class was Fred. Thank you. The STB has changed it’s name to the nWo, and we have just two words for ya. ...
www.joedios.com/dioramas/showimage.php? … chid=11427 – 89k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Emma Frost/White Shard(Finished)Adrienne was her beautiful accomplished older sister who was prom queen and valid dictorian. Please read the Adrienne bio if you haven’t done so already. ...
pub27.ezboard.com/fmutations2004frm35.showMessage?topicID=46.topic – 58k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

blog.myspace.com/gunslingingfreakHe graduated valid dictorian and gave a great speech. It was published, I think, in the newspaper the next week. And the paper was on the walls of the …
blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=57120749&blogID=151425795&MyToken=dc… – 29k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

KMC Forums – BATTLE ROYALE! The RPG!In his class, he played the shy to be too smart-kid, with brainpower enough to be the valid dictorian. Why now? Why my class? What gives them the right to …
www.killermovies.com/forums/418998_7-ba … le-the-rpg – 122k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2007-06-26 14:38:02

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: VALID DICTORIAN (valedictorian)

After posting that, my gut instinct was to go back to the Database and read the comments section below “valevictorian.” The one commentor mentioned “Valid Victorian” which gets 1880 Google hits. That would appear to be even a stronger eggcorn that the one I proposed—or even “valedictorian” which gets 1400 Google hits.

#3 2016-07-14 00:39:38

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: VALID DICTORIAN (valedictorian)

jorkel wrote:

The one commentor mentioned “Valid Victorian” which gets 1880 Google hits. That would appear to be even a stronger eggcorn that the one I proposed—

Item #6 in this compendium of cake decorating disasters gives a real-world example of that eggcorn.

Board footer