Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-02 19:10:11

patschwieterman
Administrator

The Snowclones Database now open for business

Erin O’Connor’s Snowclones Database has just come online. You can find it here: http://snowclones.org/

Snowclones are adaptable, oft-repeated verbal formulas that are especially especially beloved of journalists writing against a deadline. For instance: “X is the new Y!” (“Pink is the new black!” “Quiet is the new loud!” “Snowclones are the new eggcorn!” Like that.) Or the notorious “If Eskimos have 247 words for snow, then X’s have Y words for Z!” Or the many (non-journalist) variations on “I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.”

Just a handful of snowclones have gotten written up so far, but O’Connor is shooting for one new entry a week, so stay tuned….

#2 2007-07-05 11:29:47

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: The Snowclones Database now open for business

I wonder if there is a website devoted to portmanteau words, preferably something at the more scholarly end of the spectrum. I recently pondered the word “thrillogy” as a combination of “thriller” and “trilogy” and would like to see if anyone has started a compilation of these neologisms.

Board footer