Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-04 13:24:01

klakritz
Eggcornista

'Morman' for 'Mormon'

I recently saw Mitt Romney referred to as a “Morman” on a political blog. Perhaps this reflects the false etymological idea that ‘mor’ is a prefix modifying ‘man,’ so that a ‘morman’ would be a particular kind of man. (As far as I can tell, ‘Mormon’ is a name Joseph Smith invented for a hitherto unknown ancient prophet). It’s an extremely common substitution, with 500k ghits, although ‘Morman’ is also a common surname, accounting for many of the 500k:

Some have opined that Romney couldn’t win in the USA because he’s a Morman and Mormans [used to] have multiple wives …
online.startribune.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=923637&

Would you vote for someone who wants to keep the borders open and do Just the opposite of what you want just because he’s a MORMAN?
www.townhall.com/.../30/2007&page=full&comments=true

Is this the beginning of Mitt Romney’s homegrown “Morman Militia”? ...
wonkette.com/politics/dept’-of-personal-security/mitt-romney-gets-busted-for-pretend-policemen-271465.php

In curious irony, Morman Mitt, governor of Mass., had the shameful audacity to invoke a 1913 state law banning out-of-state interracial couples from …
vegacura.blogspot.com/2004/05/gay-marriage-slippery-slope-to.html

None other than Morman Mitt Romney had the best line re: all this. During the first Republican debate…
www.jillstanek.com/archives/legislation_inspirations/

When a Morman dies, what is the meaning of the Garments, the Veil and Apron?
www.answerbag.com/q_view/19447

#2 2007-07-04 17:52:30

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'Morman' for 'Mormon'

Great find. One can be a Norman, and one can be a doorman. Now, apparently, one can also be a Morman.

#3 2007-07-07 00:51:05

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

Perhaps not surprisingly, there are 931 g-hits for “Mormen”—even references to the “Book of Mormen,” and to “Mormen women.” I was hoping to find “Mormen” used as the plural of “Morman,” but the only example was plainly a joke.

Next up—a “Mormen corpsman”?

David

#4 2007-07-07 11:13:08

huevomaiztro

The real test would be if “Morwoman/Morwomen” pops up for the females of the faith.

So far, the only occurrences I see seem to be in jest.

#5 2007-07-08 00:52:21

patschwieterman
Administrator

I turned up a few uses of “Mormen” as a plural that don’t seem obviously intended as jokes or insults—but of course it’s impossible to be sure. At any rate, the author of the final citation seems sincerely uncertain about the plural.

One thing is for sure, mormen are very persistant at there cause. It is sad that it seems they are sometimes more persistent then christians. My hope is that one day soon we as christians could be more persistent, but not such that we push people away.
http://blog.myspace.com/alaskanokie

Islam has failed miserably here, Christianity has somehow faltered a bit somewhere, and the Mormen have completely failed, if not three times over.
http://www.goddess-project.net/board/in … 0&start=30

I’m not suggesting magic as entertainment isn’t perfectly legitimate. But it’s no substitute for door knocking the way Jehova’s Witnesses or Mormen do it.
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:h70 … cd=5&gl=us

I was in Perth Australia about 3 years ago and I got talking to some Mormans…Mormen?...whatever on the street. They’re always nice enough people and I’m the type to talk to strangers. I mean, what harm could Mormen do? They told me about where they were from and all that stuff and I even got my picture taken with them.
http://www.b3ta.com/users/profile.php?id=27808

#6 2007-07-08 01:36:25

huevomaiztro

patschwieterman wrote:

I turned up a few uses of “Mormen” as a plural that don’t seem obviously intended as jokes or insults

Sorry for the vague reference. I meant the only occurrences I had seen of Morwoman/Morwomen seemed to be in jest.

It also seems to me that at least some of the folks using Morman or Mormen sincerely believe it’s the right word.

Last edited by huevomaiztro (2007-07-08 01:38:31)

#7 2007-07-08 02:48:08

patschwieterman
Administrator

No problem—your post was perfectly clear; I was responding to Fishbait2, so I guess I was the one who was vague.

Board footer