Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-04 15:30:41

arborjohnson

Evasive Species

My grandpa says “evasive species” all the time. I don’t know if he doesn’t know the difference between “invasive” and “evasive”, or if he thinks the weeds are running away from him.

“Evasive species control is important and a handle item for environmentalists which maintain we help spread these species by transporting the seeds in our tire treads.”
http://www.wohva.net/phpbbpublic/viewto … cebac389b8

“It is called evasive species. OGT was ordered by the state to cut the trees due to spreading. If you will notice the grass by the vortex area is all brown, for the same reason.”
http://www.omba.org/forum/viewtopic.php … 82d575e2a2

“12 applications have been received for removal of evasive species.”
http://www.mrnrd.org/downloads/minutes/ … -13-07.pdf

1170 Google hits for it.

Arbor

#2 2007-07-04 17:44:33

gib

Re: Evasive Species

I like the implication that these pests and critters are difficult to hunt down and eradicate!

#3 2007-07-04 18:40:34

yanogator
Eggcornista

There is a chiropractor here in Cincinnati whose command of English isn’t quite complete. She used to have a radio ad that talked about a non-evasive procedure she used. I hope all medical procedures are non-evasive, since the other kind never seem to get near the problem!

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#4 2007-07-07 03:17:07

huevomaiztro

gib wrote:

I like the implication that these pests and critters are difficult to hunt down and eradicate

Especially since many of these pests are plants. (If you’ve ever tried to rid your area of tamarisk or Chinese tallow, you know they can seem as evasive as they are invasive.)

With that in mind, I think this clearly qualifies as an eggcorn!

#5 2007-07-07 18:59:12

jorkel
Eggcornista

I guess I’d call this an eggcorn because the utterer understands the difference between “evasive” and “invasive” and truly believes the former to be the proper term.

The only caution I raise on this one is the prefix issue. The substituting of e- for in- here opens the door to a lot of other (more questionable) eggcorn candidates. If one thinks of the long list of prefixes available for use, there are probably a number of prefix pairs that get routinely confused. This includes inter-/intra-, ex-/extra-, super-/supra- and many others. These are mostly the source of malapropisms in which the prefix is not understood. So, I’m always cautious about labeling prefix switches as eggcorns.

#6 2007-07-08 13:13:22

booboo
Eggcornista

Maybe a “non-evasive” medical pocedure means “You not getting out of this one. We MUST operate!” Ha,ha!

Could this be an example of intentional replacement recently discussed? Folk etymology?

Board footer