Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-07 11:11:52

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'lordable' for 'laudable'

I accept that this may be no more than a spelling error, but it’s just possible that some ‘lordable’ users may think it means possessing qualities which might lead to being granted honours or titles by a grateful monarch, or that it may bear some resemblance to a magnanimous gesture by some kindly aristocrat.
124 ghits

a)The commitment of the CAB members for the cause of children in difficulty and their involvement in the CHILDLINE services are praiseworthy and lordable . ...
www.coimbatorechildline.org/ing-publicity.htm – 11k – Supplemental Result – Cached

It’s a very lordable goal, but they seem to take their heritage waaaay too seriously. Family (or more importantly, Pride) is all important and probably the …
www.sadgeezer.com/andromeda/andromeda_c … cheans.htm – 45k – Cached

For our fight we believe, Empowerment may be a lordable gift, but that’s exactly what it is, it is not a right!! Look up the definition of Empowerment in …
www.youthparliament.co.uk/ – 1k – Cached

... actions which are very lordable and selfless, but how many other humans do you know that willingly cross the road to give a few quid to a street beggar? ...
www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/communit … 76-50.html – 48k – Supplemental Result – Cached

#2 2007-07-07 16:09:05

huevomaiztro

Re: 'lordable' for 'laudable'

Your notion could be on target, given that each of these occurs in Britain or the former British Empire (India). I also found 130ish ghits for “lordable,” the first four of which seem to be puns in news headlines and the next two of which seem to refer to the name of a racehorse (fertile ground for punning). Nonetheless, the remaining hits seem to be clear cases of replacing “laudable” with “lordable.” That the writers/speakers are thinking not “praiseworthy” but “kingly” or “aristocratic” seems plausible to me. I’d be interested to hear how the linguists weigh in.

Board footer