Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-19 23:20:45

klakritz
Eggcornista

'presence of mine' for 'presence of mind'

The database already has mind -> mine, so this is a sub-eggcorn. Perhaps the possessive ‘mine’ shows up because of the related idiom of ‘self-possession.’ Examples:

I love that someone had the presence of mine to say, “Take a picture of Louie cooking the chickens,” because who would have believed it otherwise?
www.thegirloutofbrooklyn.blogspot.com/

Horrified, she quickly started the car and drove off glad she had the presence of mine to lock her doors automatically when first re-entering her car.
www.associatedcontent.com/article/23353 … people.htm

So, your signature was always familiar to me from somewhere, and I only just had the presence of mine to blurt out, “Stevie Smith!”
rainbowreality.deviantart.com/

You must read this: You will laugh so hard! [...I wish I’d had the presence of mine to save the page when it was still up.
www.aota.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-6283.html

I had the presence of mine to jot down enough of the lyrics to find the song.
mission2moscow.blogspot.com/2006/06/rose-colored-glasses-hitting-too-close.html

Fortunately, I had had the presence of mine to order one more Whopper than my dining companion could eat…
blogcritics.org/archives/2004/08/10/015330.php

I’d had the presence of mine to not put on makeup before I left, so at least mascara wasn’t running down the side of my face.
charmingbutsingle.com/2006/02/28/weekend-update-eh-la-bas-edition/

Thankfully, Mrs. G. had the presence of mine to act quickly, despite finishing off half of their wine cellar, to call the paramedics ...
sgthook.com/2006/04/23/after-action-review/

#2 2007-07-20 08:29:38

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'presence of mine' for 'presence of mind'

I think this is the first convincing eggcorn I’ve seen for the mind/mine substitution.

The documentation in the Eggcorn Database for mind/mine invokes a different usage of “mine,” and deems the eggcornicity “questionable.” I would agree with that assessment for the idiomatic alterations discussed there.

There’s another post in the Forum on mind/mine (similar usage to the above) which also seems to be a bit of a stretch…

minefield of information by waspberry Contribute! 2 2007-04-10 06:25:53 by waspberry

Given all this, I don’t think you need to qualify your find as a subcategory of the others. Yours seems to be the most legitimate of the set.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-07-20 18:34:46)

Board footer