Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-08-04 13:48:00

suzie creamcheese

“tossled” for “tousled”

I never hear either “tousled” or “tossled” in terms of anything but hair. “Tousle” is a generally unfamiliar word, but not so “toss.” In particular, people can toss their hair about, and this can be a very attractive activity when done by pretty people with pretty hair. The result of a lot of hair-tossing is tousled hair, so I suspect that people who say “tossled” are thinking of well-tossed hair.

As for Google hits, I get 372,000 for tousled vs. 1,000 for tossled, but 62,100 for the exact phrase “tousled hair” and 2,580 for “tossled hair.” I clearly have something to learn about Google searches.

I see that there’s an entry for “tussled” instead of “tousled” on Paul Brians’ “Common Errors in English” web site (http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/index.html), although I’ve never heard that variant.

Board footer