Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2007-08-04 18:48:00

suzie creamcheese

“tossled” for “tousled”

I never hear either “tousled” or “tossled” in terms of anything but hair. “Tousle” is a generally unfamiliar word, but not so “toss.” In particular, people can toss their hair about, and this can be a very attractive activity when done by pretty people with pretty hair. The result of a lot of hair-tossing is tousled hair, so I suspect that people who say “tossled” are thinking of well-tossed hair.

As for Google hits, I get 372,000 for tousled vs. 1,000 for tossled, but 62,100 for the exact phrase “tousled hair” and 2,580 for “tossled hair.” I clearly have something to learn about Google searches.

I see that there’s an entry for “tussled” instead of “tousled” on Paul Brians’ “Common Errors in English” web site (http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/index.html), although I’ve never heard that variant.

Board footer