Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-08-14 12:08:50

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'pains and needles' for 'pins and needles'

‘Pins and needles’, a tingling sensation accompanied by numbness, is usually uncomfortable rather than painful, but some people seem to find ‘pains and needles’ a more appropriate description…

Mrs Kang, aged 34, presented to your surgery complaining of pains and needles, and intermittent paralysis in her left arm. She works as a textile worker and …
www.practiceopen.com/html/racgp_communication.html – 56k – Cached

Neck problems and whiplash can cause headaches, numbness, coldness, or pains-and-needles in the face, chest, arms, wrists, or hands. ...
www.axischiropractic.com/neck.htm – 5k – Cached –

Skin sensations such as skin crawling and pains and needles may be felt. · Cognitive impairment: Poor short- and medium-term memory, mental confusion and …
ayme.org.uk/article.php?sid=14&id=211 – 27k – Cached

I have been an amputee since april 05 and sometimes the pains and needles really get to me. I have found that reiki healing will give me at least two hours …
www.heathermillsmccartney.com/forum/lof … t3614.html – 32k – Cached

#2 2008-09-18 22:44:15

kem
Eggcornista

Re: 'pains and needles' for 'pins and needles'

No comments on your interesting post from last year, Peter. A good eggcorn, in my opinion.

There are also a few examples on the web of “walking on pines and needles.” See examples below. For many people the experience of walking on conifer duff (pine cones and pine needles) is more familiar than an image related to sewing. The decline in home sewing between the 1960s and the 1990s has left us with a sartorially challenged generation.

Post on a stereo chat board: “I believe Mike lived in Chicago during the time The IDES OF MARCH were happening…perhaps he can say something about the tracks on the upcoming CD….a CD Ihave already ordered and I’m on pines and needles until it arrives! ” (http://www.bsnpubs.com/chat/chat0003.html)

Post on chat board: “I spent nearly 10 wks sitting on pines and needles, having two false alarms the final week.” (http://www.oes.org/page2/6748~False_labor.html)

Teacher’s web log for a fifth grade class: “During math, we also had vistors in our classroom from a college. They were students, too. They were there observing how classrooms worked. I was on pines and needles making sure that they saw how well our class behaved.” (http://www.mpsomaha.org/willow/5/everts … 04_12.html)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer