Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-09-05 16:54:28

JonW719
Eggcornista

Simular

Hello, all: First post here.

I grew up in Michigan, and my mother and siblings all say “simular” vs. “similar.” I believe this may be a regionalism. But it does make sense: Something similar simulates something else. Does this qualify as an eggcorn? I’m new enough to this that I’m not sure how to categorize it.

Thank you.

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2007-09-05 20:04:06

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Simular

The explanation sounds good to me. It would be nice if we could get a firsthand account from the utterer. Is your mom available for comment?

#3 2007-09-06 09:24:15

AdamVero
Eggcornista
Website

I’ve heard similarity pronounced more like simularity, but I think the speaker would probably spell it correctly.
Library often sounds more like libry, February almost always like Febuary or Febry, is this not just a sloppy or regional pronunciation?

I like the implication of a similar simulation, but I don’t think this is an eggcorn for two reasons: – the substituted (“wrong”) word is not more comon than that it replaces – most eggcorns seem to move down in level of complexity or rarity of the words (in this case I would wager that most pepole would think simular is not even a real word, it is so obscure) – it is not written down, leaving it open to interpretation as pronunciation, not word-swapping

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will buy a ridiculous hat – Scott Adams (author of Dilbert)
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life – Terry Pratchett
http://blog.meteorit.co.uk

#4 2007-09-06 09:54:28

JonW719
Eggcornista

Next time I talk with my mom, I’ll ask her. I’m not even sure she is a aware that she pronounces it differently. All my siblings, most of whom have stayed in the area where we grew up, also say simular. (Nor was I until I went away to college and noticed my peers didn’t pronounce it that way.)

Here is an example of it I found on Google:

Amazon.com: see simular booksA community about see simular books. Tag and discover new products. Share your images and discuss your questions with see simular books experts.
www.amazon.com/tag/see%20simular%20books – 120k – Cached – Similar pages

AdamVero: I didn’t realize “simular” was an archaic word until I looked it up in an unabridged dictionary. It does seem that the meaning was different from the way my family uses it (first definition is as a noun: a person or thing that simulates; second is as an adjective: simulated, false, counterfeited.) The third definition, also an adjective comes closest to their usage, meaning imitative or simulative.

Last edited by JonW719 (2007-09-06 10:18:32)

#5 2007-09-23 10:34:24

jorkel
Eggcornista

Looks like the linguists now have a name for this term: “esculators”

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language … 04805.html

#6 2007-09-23 11:26:58

JonW719
Eggcornista

Cool! I once got my shoelace caught in an “esculator.”

It’s nice to know our family pronunciation falls into a category. I think it dips its toe in the eggcorn pool, so to speak, because of its correlation to simulate or simulation, but I like that it has its own linguistic category.

Thanks, Jorkel.

#7 2007-09-27 07:15:05

AdamVero
Eggcornista
Website

Aha!
So ‘authentification” would be an esculator, not an eggcorn.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will buy a ridiculous hat – Scott Adams (author of Dilbert)
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life – Terry Pratchett
http://blog.meteorit.co.uk

Board footer