Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-09-17 21:42:43

aj20483

bare hands v. bear hands

which one, which one?

who knows. i know i don’t, and i just wrote it in my english paper!!!

#2 2007-09-18 07:54:23

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: bare hands v. bear hands

Well, I suppose it could depend on the context, but I am reasonably sure the original was “bare” hands, meaning hands not protected by gloves or with just the hands and no tools. “Bear” is either the large mammal as a noun or “to carry” (bear a burden) as a verb. Here are some examples of bare handed:

MAKE: Blog: Bare-handed bottle smash
Amasci shows you how to pop the bottom off of most glass bottles with your bare hands….
www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2007/08/b … smash.html – 47k – Cached – Similar pages
Bare-Handed Basket
Harvesting willow basketry materials without stone tools.
www.primitiveways.com/bare-handed_basket.html – 8k – Cached – Similar pages
MySpace.com – Bare Hand Wolf Chokers Association – BROOKLYN, NEW …
MySpace comedy profile for Bare Hand Wolf Chokers Association with gig dates, clips, pictures, blogs, personal information, downloads and more.
www.myspace.com/barehandwolfchokers – 138k – Cached – Similar pages
Hart’s Audition: Bare Handed Editing
Bare Handed Editing. ABC News has a rundown from PC Magazine on video … I like the image of “bare handed editing” as some sort of new extreme sport, ...
blogs.adobe.com/hartshafer/2006/04/bare_handed_edi.html – 11k – Cached – Similar pages
Missouri legalizes bare-hand fishing – Peculiar Postings – MSNBC.com
Next summer, it will be legal to plunge into some Missouri rivers and grab catfish by hand — a type of fishing that is not for the faint of heart.
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6763659/ – 46k – Cached – Similar pages
A bare-handed save by two tour stars – Equipment – golf: the …
A bare-handed save by two tour stars – Equipment – golf: the advantage of wearing a glove on the left hand, a procedure not followed by Fred Couples and Lee …
findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_12_53/ai_94406251 – 26k – Cached – Similar pages

Here are some results from a Google search for bear handed. and all are used as plays on words:
A Bear-Handed Grab
Around the Mall: A Bear-Handed Grab. How a stranded cub became the living symbol for one of America’s best-known advertising campaigns. By Anne Broache …
www.smithsonianmagazine.com/issues/2005 … e_mall.php – 21k – Cached – Similar pages
Bear-Handed Fly Designs by Bear Andrews
Jeff “Bear” Andrews is a professional fly tyer known for the many unique and attractive patterns he has developed. As an angler, Bear has flyfished for …
www.bearandrews.com/ – 8k – Cached – Similar pages
Bear Handed Fly Designs by Bear Andrews
Bear ties his favorite flies for steelhead and trout, These are proven patterns that have become the favorites of guides and flyfishermen all over the Great …
www.bearandrews.com/dvd.html – 7k – Cached – Similar pages
[ More results from www.bearandrews.com ]

Last edited by JonW719 (2007-09-18 07:56:24)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2007-09-21 04:54:11

AdamVero
Eggcornista
Website

You may bear arms, but not with your bear hands.

I propose a change the constitution to deter hunting by creating the right to arm bears.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will buy a ridiculous hat – Scott Adams (author of Dilbert)
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life – Terry Pratchett
http://blog.meteorit.co.uk

#4 2007-09-21 09:20:31

JonW719
Eggcornista

I always thought it was cool that the US Constitution guarantees the right to bare arms. I wouldn’t want wearing short-sleeved shirts to be illegal!

Feeling quite combobulated.

Board footer