Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-10-10 08:12:12

JonW719
Eggcornista

Accompanist vs. ACCOMPIANIST

This one is pretty common among singers and musicians, and while I submitted it here as a reshaping, I think it does have eggcorn potential! A pianist is one who plays the piano. An accompanist is one who accompanies another musician or singer (often a pianist!). And so an “accompianist” must be a piano player who is accompanying someone. :-)

What do you all think?

Accompianist, Immanuel Baptist Church
Accompianist, Immanuel Baptist Church. Reply to: see below Date: 2007-10-06, 10:45PM EDT. DO YOU PLAY THE PIANO? OR THE ORGAN? Immanuel Baptist Church …
boston.craigslist.org/nos/npo/442160597.html – Similar pages
SINGER SONGWRITER PIANIST ACCOMPIANIST
SINGER SONGWRITER PIANIST ACCOMPIANIST. Reply to: JKMHOLTZ2@AOL.COM Date: 2007-10-04, 12:08PM PDT HI I WRITE MY OWN SONGS MOSTLY CLASSICAL,POP INSTRUMENTAL. ...
portland.craigslist.org/mlt/muc/440055144.html – Similar pages
Demos/accompianist/producition for your songs!
Pianist Accompianist w 35 years experience California Conservatory of music graduate (1977) Cal State Fullerton Major of Music(1978—79) ...
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/crs/443544328.html – Similar pages
Director/Accompianist

|Welcome| |Society History| |Director/Accompianist| |The Choir| |Upcoming Schedule| |Recent Concerts| |And Voices Were Lifted Up…| |Contact Us| ...
www.frontroyaloratoriosociety.org/gpage.html – 22k – Cached – Similar pages
Singer seeks accompianist Merseyside Liverpool musicians artists …
I’m a singer who wants to start out looking for paying gigs and I need an accompianist – guitar or piano (or an alternative if you’re imaginative! ...
liverpool.gumtree.com/liverpool/82/14462282.html – 11k – 19 hours ago – Cached – Similar pages
Nancy’s feeding her accompianist grapes again!
Nancy’s feeding her accompianist grapes again! [Most Recent Entries] [Calendar View] [Friends]. Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in …
nancilicious.livejournal.com/ – 40k – Cached – Similar pages
Nancy’s feeding her accompianist grapes again! – Calendar
Nancy’s feeding her accompianist grapes again! [Most Recent Entries] [Calendar View] [Friends]. [ 2007 ][ 2006 ][ 2005 ][ 2004 ][ 2003 ] ...
nancilicious.livejournal.com/calendar – 23k – Cached – Similar pages
[ More results from nancilicious.livejournal.com ]
Piano Accompianist Needed Asap Edinburgh New Town Edinburgh …
Piano Accompianist Needed Asap. Reply to: Click here to email the poster, Melinda 01314785185. Date: Saturday 8th September …
edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/98/13330498.html – 12k – Cached – Similar pages
Benjamin Beirs Classical Guitarist Duo Guitarist Accompianist

Last edited by JonW719 (2007-10-10 08:13:04)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2007-10-11 20:49:05

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Accompanist vs. ACCOMPIANIST

I think it may be a credible eggcorn as outlined. I just wonder how many intended “accompanyist” and simply moved the “y” syllable to “accompianist” without noticing it because of their familiarity with “pianist” and because the syllable count was preserved. (It’s almost an adult version of a child’s tendency to call an “animal” an “aminal.”) At any rate, it’s a nice thought-provoking find.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-10-11 20:53:12)

Board footer