Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-10-18 10:59:09

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

"darn right rude" instead of "downright rude"

On my Yahoo listserve today:

“We have an occasional troll that posts something darn right rude/mean/inappropriate (likely to get a rise out of folks to watch the reaction—so ignoring them is often the best solution). When we see a darn right rude/mean/inappropriate email, that person’s posts no longer make it to the list until a moderator reads and approves the post. This is one of the reasons we can stay lightly moderated.

If you see a darn right rude/mean/inappropriate post ”

I found 970 Google hits for this one, just using the “rude” noun.
752 for “darn right scary”
387 for “darn right nasty”
68 for “darn right offensive”
71 for “darn right frustrating”
54 for “darn right expensive”

It makes sense; who uses “downright” anymore, and what does the “down” have to do with it? Yet we all understand (and use) “darned scary” or “darn scary” (if you’re lazy)

Last edited by TootsNYC (2007-10-18 11:00:03)

#2 2007-10-18 11:03:06

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Re: "darn right rude" instead of "downright rude"

oops, I’m sorry—I see it’s already in the database. It was just new to ME!

#3 2011-02-16 17:49:25

David Bird
Eggcornista

I ran across another darn right hit and thought to reanimate this great eggcorn, with a couple of simblings.

are you pretty or darn right ugly?
Quiz

Downride... A blend of downgrade and deride, maybe.

In the last 2 months I have noted an increase in what some call debunkers which has culminated in a lack of courtesy and downride rudeness in the posts
Conspiracy forum

Give me a break. That’s just downride ignorant.
Car forum

Gee, Les. When put through the Les-Spin-O-matic, they sound downride dastardly don’t they.
Religion forum

the storylines are just downride ridiculous sometime I facepalm.jpeg some of the main storyline there
Philippine wrestling forum

the game’s optional “shiny trinkets” are, for lack of a better term, bitch-hard. One in particular is downride mental
Game review

The dance was scandalous at the time due to its close embrace and erotic downride sexual expression.
Argentine tango

Downwrite... written down, attested, or sometimes, written off?

JUST PLAIN DOWNWRITE BEAUTIFUL UNICORNS
Pictures”:http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/15985969UxhMjDTIad

very Thursday night in the Chronicle there are up to 900 vacancies, am i to think that geordies are to thick for to take up these jobs or just downwrite lazy.
UK employment forum

Never understood peoples’ dislike of dandelions either. What other”weed” looks pretty, is fun to play with, and is downwrite tasty too
Book club

#4 2011-02-17 15:41:42

czearfoss

I’d say the “downwrite” examples are just a result of a spelling defense mechanisms. Use “right” for direction, and any other time the sound “rite” is heard, overcorrect and use “write”. Plus including that tricky silent W makes one look more edumacated!

#5 2014-01-04 08:15:52

burred
Eggcornista

More edumucation, this time from philosophers from Berkeley and Harvard. Alternatively, the supernumerary w in downwright might be superstitious.

Elizabeth Gilbert’s world is different from Wallace’s, no doubt, but not because it is lacking the anxiety, depression, and downwright sadness that Wallace saw.
All Things Shining, p. 27.

Downmaking sadness is outwright logical.

Three were killed outwright; another survived but a short time, and several others have since died of their wounds.
Collections, Topographical, Historical and Biographical, Relating Principally to New-Hampshire. 1822

“Downright” is at least 800 years old.

Board footer