Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-10-24 02:18:26

pumeza

"hick-up" for "hiccup"

The nettime mailing list recently posted an item about changes to the list hosting and administration. This line caught my eye:

“There is a minor hick-up. Mailman requires a password for you to change your subscription setttings….”

I’ve never seen this substitution before, but it makes such perfect sense I’m almost wondering whether I’ve been wrong all along about “hiccup”. Either way, it strikes me as a beautiful eggcorn.

#2 2007-10-27 00:10:54

Knave of Pentacles

Re: "hick-up" for "hiccup"

“Hick-up” certainly makes sense in this context, phonetically and semantically resembling “f*ck-up”...

#3 2007-10-28 07:11:57

jorkel
Eggcornista

“Hick-up” might be eye dialect rather than an eggcorn. That is, people may spell words the way they hear them without attributing any new imagery to them.

I believe the “hic” in “hiccup” (“hiccough”) is an incidence of onomatopoeia as is the “hick” in “hick-up.” Now, does the “up” portion of “Hick-up” qualify as an eggcornish departure of “cough” in “hiccough”? Maybe so, but that might already be the case with “hiccup.”

Although I haven’t answered definitively here, perhaps I’ve framed the question more explicitly.

#4 2007-10-29 03:14:50

pumeza

It strikes me as something more than simple ear-spelling, mainly because “hick-up” fits so nicely into the family of similar expressions—not just “f*ck-up” mentioned above but also “stuff-up”, “cock-up”, “balls-up, “mess-up” and I’m sure there are more. I’m not sure to what extent these are familiar in American English, but they’re common slang in the British and South African versions. If a “hick” is an unsophisticated person then a “hick-up” is just what you’d expect when you unleash that person on anything technical.

#5 2008-07-24 16:48:58

gilibug

You beat me to it! I just got “hick up” in an email and wondered if it counts as an eggcorn. Complete sentence from email:

“Please comment with any new bugs you discover, we hope to solve
them over the next few days. Hick-ups are likely, so please bear with us.”

Board footer