Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2007-11-01 03:37:49

klakritz
Eggcornista

'legible' for 'eligible'

I wouldn’t describe ‘eligible’ as an arcane or obsolescent word, but perhaps it has one syllable too many. For whatever reason, this substitution is fairly common, if dubious as an eggcorn:

Legible bachelor and social gadabout Leg Delabor has seen ‘Juwanna Mann’ 2 times since it opened June 21st.
www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Thorax_Corporation

Percy Crookshank was voted time magazines most legible bachelor of the year (2007), and, 3rd time winner of Women’s Weeklies ‘finest eye candy’ of the year …
www.entertainoz.com.au/index.cfm?oid=35156

he’s the sexiest man alive aside from being the most legible bachelor in hollywood.
www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1125843.aspx – 86k

For issuance of ID card, Medicare Card must be presented on or after the effective date of Medicare legibility.
www.sheppard.af.mil/shared/media/docume … 13-088.doc

Financial Aid won’t pay for online courses- Not true, if you are legible for financial aid, and you are enrolled in a legitimate school …
www.associatedcontent.com/article/38093 … urses.html

Tutorial fellows of the University of Nairobi are also legible to enroll into the post graduate program.
www.uonbi.ac.ke/departments/dept_page.p … ac_code=61

#2 2007-11-09 17:04:18

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'legible' for 'eligible'

I wonder if the Cupertino effect is at play here. Does a spellchecker correct “elgible” as “eligible” or “legible”?

#3 2007-11-10 04:32:35

patschwieterman
Administrator

My spellchecker gives “legible” as a possible substitution for “elgible,” but it’s only the second choice; “eligible” is first. On the other hand, if you leave off the initial “e-” and write “ligible,” you do indeed get “legible” as the first suggestion. I don’t know how likely that scenario is.

#4 2011-02-26 09:52:24

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I wonder if there isn’t some influence from legitimate blended in here.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer