Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-11-06 12:10:16

Stellabella

"valid Victorian" for "valedictorian"

Another example from freshman writing.

#2 2007-11-06 12:17:25

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "valid Victorian" for "valedictorian"

Welcome to the Eggcorn website Stellabella.

The eggcorn you mentioned was discussed here:

VALID DICTORIAN (valedictorian) by jorkel Contribute! 1 2007-06-26 09:38:02 by jorkel

and I think it’s also in the Eggcorn Database under the comments section for Valevictorian (or something similar)

#3 2007-11-06 12:25:48

Stellabella

Wow. I never even tried googling the phrase. I came across it in a freshman English placement exam a couple of years ago. It must be a very common eggcorn.

#4 2007-11-06 14:19:11

jorkel
Eggcornista

Although it’s not the sole factor, some of the best eggcorns are the ones that are most widespread. And, you’ll be simply amazed at what you can Google up.

Beyond collecting up examples, you can also Google your eggcorn along with the word “eggcorn” to see if its already been posted here. Granted, the Eggcorn Database is alphabetized, but the Forum is wildly random. To search the latter, you can click on “search” in the above menu and enter a single word. In the current example “valid” was enough to bring up the old post.

Finally, it always helps to explain the new imagery embodied in the eggcorn. I’ve required plenty of eggcorns to be explained to me before I had an “aha” moment.

Thanks again for the contribution, and keep them coming. There are many teachers that have contributed items from their students here!

Board footer