Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-11-27 22:26:45

jorkel
Eggcornista

PEROGATIVE (prerogative)

I think we’ve all heard the word “prerogative” pronounced/spelled as “perogative.” It may simply be that the proper pronunciation seems so unnatural… perhaps even counterintuitive to the correct spelling. And that might be all that’s going on here. But, just for the sake of argument: is there perhaps something additional happening with the assumed “per-” prefix here? I personally don’t see any imagery, but it’s a topic that we should at least address here in the forum. If anyone has an insight, please chime in. (Do we even have a category for this one?)

#2 2007-11-28 02:10:36

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: PEROGATIVE (prerogative)

Joe—wouldn’t this fall under Zwicky’s “esculator” category?

The alteration of pre- to per- is really common. A relative of mine always says “perscription,” and sure enough there are 2.2 MILLION raw hits for “perscription” out there. “Perfers” also gets 48k hits.

“Perogative” actually gets mentioned on this pronunciation website (you have to scroll down alphabetically):

http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html

The site itself is a bit odd, however. Alhough US-based, it considers “persnickety” an error and recommends that Americans use the British “pernickety.” Weird.

#3 2007-11-28 10:10:10

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: PEROGATIVE (prerogative)

Yes, you’re right Pat. Probably just an “esculator” (void of any imagery adjustment). I’m a little rusty on the categories, so I lumped it in with the “Slips, innovations and reshapings.” Thanks, as always, for the interesting additional tidbits in your posts.

Board footer