Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-12-07 16:09:19

tnadasdi

Matched guys for matched-guise

Here’s a fresh eggcorn from one of my students. For the non linguistic, I should explain that the matched-guise technique is a methodology whereby one speaker provides two speech samples using different guises (e.g., by speaking two different languages or dialects). The purpose of this methodology is to tap the listener’s attitudes toward the language or dialect. It seems to have been reanalyzed as the “matched guys” technique by several of my students.

best,

terry

#2 2007-12-17 09:32:11

nilep
Eggcornista

Re: Matched guys for matched-guise

It’s entirely understandable that one might think of this as a test comparing the speech of different “guys.” (In fact, at least typically, what is matched are different guises of the same guy – e.g. the same bilingual individual speaking French and English.)

The key point, of course, is whether the phonetic reshaping is based on or caused by semantic reanalysis. That is, do these students think of the matched guise test as a test of “guys”? I think it’s entirely plausible that they do; a bit more context might be helpful in strengthening that theory.

I also note that klakritz discussed “in disguise of” < “in the guise of” in 2006. Patschwieterman says that klakritz submitted “under the guys of” in 2005, but the forum’s search function doesn’t immediately bring it up.
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=594

#3 2007-12-17 21:32:50

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Matched guys for matched-guise

Ken posted his guise>>guys discussion back in the days before the Eggcorns Forum existed, so the forum search engine won’t bring it up—you have to use the “Google Search” button on the Database homepage. (Yeah, our search engines are pretty problematic. I’m pretty sure that Chris has said that overhauling them is on her to-do list.)

In any case, I’ve pulled up Ken’s post in case anyone wants to see it; it’s been smooshed a bit:

#319 Commentary by Ken Lakritz , 2005/04/07 at 10:13 pm
‘guys’ for ‘guise.’ Common as a misspelling. Occasionally an eggcorn or nearly so. e.g.,
Those people are going to be very dubious when the United States shows up in
the guys of a liberator.
archives.lists.indymedia…. imc-texas/2003-August/000074.html
…I have dealt directly with Greenpiece and Earth First, and I can
assure you that they are simply terrorists under the guys of environmentalists …
www.dccycles.com/arch/99/… – 4k – I did serve 6 years in the US Navy as a medical corpsman and seen
my share of death and mutilation under the guys of freedom.
sf.indymedia.org/news/200…

Board footer