Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-12-17 20:57:56

klakritz
Eggcornista

'comuffins' for 'comeuppance'

Muffins- a perfectly fine variety of ‘just deserts!’ Examples:

I honestly feel everyone is getting their comuffins…I feel they are getting what they deserve.
www.4w-forums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php? … 05ba9674dd

Yey those CMAP guys got their comuffins!
www.crunchyroll.com/showmedia?id=27374

looks like Orielly is finally getting his comuffins. i say cheers to that i love it when the real conservative bastards turn out to sexual deviant freaks.
board.freeones.com/showthread.php?t=21502

Bad shit happens and then it happens again, then something positive happens and it ends up worse than ever, and no one ever gets their comuffins.
synthetiksin.proboards30.com/index.cgi?action=gotopost&board=general&thread=1140184918&post=1

#2 2007-12-17 21:38:36

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'comuffins' for 'comeuppance'

Over the course of the last couple of years, I’ve gotten pretty good at predicting to myself what kinds of reshapings I’m actually gonna find once I get on the Net. Occasionally I’m way off, but not usually. In this case, however, I don’t think I would have bothered looking for “comuffins” even if it had occurred to me—I would have been sure that there was nothing out there. But there they are. I suspect that people could argue about whether this is an eggcorn or not, but I’m amazed that it exists at all. A cool and peculiar find.

#3 2007-12-18 09:28:39

JonW719
Eggcornista

I know we’re not really supposed to laugh at the things we find, but I think this one is hilarious! I can understand “comeuppance” not being that familiar (it’s a rather starchy, stuffy word to modern ears, perhaps), but I would not have thought to spell it that way, nor can I think of what “muffins” the user might be picturing. (Someone having muffins thrown at them for some offense, maybe? “Take THAT, you miscreant!” “No, please! Anything but the banana walnut!!” Thwack!)

Last edited by JonW719 (2007-12-18 09:30:08)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#4 2007-12-19 16:03:48

profenatalia

Is this a subset of getting one’s just dessert? Or maybe a (slightly) lower-calorie version?

polyglots of the world, unite ~ we have nothing to lose but our accents!

#5 2007-12-19 18:20:56

booboo
Eggcornista

crazy….amazing. cramazing.

#6 2007-12-20 08:00:02

klakritz
Eggcornista

Squinting once more at ‘comeuppance’ I noticed it would sound the same as ‘comeuppants,’ which makes as much or as little sense as ‘comuffins.’ There are just a handful of these:

“I finally got my comeuppants” – Me after being shafted by tara who I shafted over being best friends with, o the high school drama!
www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=280959832

People know not to get on the wrong side of me though, everyone who has have had their comeuppants at the end of it.
www.queeryouth.org.uk/community/index.p … 4&t=138…

...will you get your comeuppants?
persephonevt.jaiku.com/?page=1

#7 2007-12-20 18:31:49

booboo
Eggcornista

That’s what happens when you get to big for your britches.

#8 2007-12-20 23:09:50

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Well, I got to thinkin’
“Come-up-ins.” Part of the original meaning in there, but it veers off somewhere else towards the end. Instead of the original meaning where the person getting his comeuppance is the one forced to “come up” before the judge, now something is coming up to that person. The bad penny is turning up. The worm has turned on them. The chickens have come home to roost right in their face. Something like that.

And sure enough, Google finds plenty of comeupins, and “come up ins,” some “come-up-ins,” a “come-up ins” or two, and even a “come-up’ins” and a few “come-up’ns.”

Last edited by Craig C Clarke (2007-12-20 23:20:30)

#9 2008-11-13 19:05:57

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Co®n-muffins? I don’t know what corn would have to do with it—this would be a companion piece for egg-corn itself, though, I suppose. Yet if you’re going to get muffins, they might as well be corn-muffins. If people who spell comuffins are really pronouncing it come-muffins instead of co-muffins, I guess that doesn’t work so well.

On a hunch I checked—would you believe there is a kind of pine (growing all around me here in mountainous Mexico, if I understand right) called an “eggcone pine” ( Pinus oocarpa )?!

There’s also a picture of an eggcone at http://flickr.com/photos/31771548@N08/3 … -colourart

Unfortunately none of the ghits seemed to be genuine eggcorns for acorn (much less for eggcorn).

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#10 2015-10-21 19:45:47

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

You get your come-up-pants when you’re too big for your britches, suggests booboo. Or is it when your britches are too big for you, and your suspenders pull the waistband up to your armpits?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer