Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-01-23 18:55:17

booboo
Eggcornista

antimosity for animosity

Kind of a simple no-brainer, this one. “Anti” implies the the same sort of sentiment as “contra” as a prefix. Negative. Contentious.

OED shows a separate origin for “animosity”:
1432, “vigor,” from L. animositatem (nom. animositas), from animosus “bold, spirited.” Sense of “hostile feeling” is first recorded 1605, from a secondary sense in L. (see animus).

Antimosity has over 1000 g-hits:

I’ve seen some antimosity between some of the players (which I don’t understand), and I know there are a couple other places to play scrabble at. ...
www.igl.net/php/page.php?p=msg&t=base&l … 1&svr=cgi1 – 27k

I had a feeling this thread might be a mistake…..and you wonder why Axl has so much antimosity towards his “so called” fans. ...
mygnrforum.com/lofiversion/index.php/t104040.html – 52k – Cached – Similar pages

I don’t understand your antimosity against North College Hill. OJ showed up on his own accord, AAU teammates Walker & Ellis followed. ...
rocketcorner.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4904&pid=80182&mode=threaded&start= – 80k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2008-01-23 19:54:31

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: antimosity for animosity

And of course, antipathy carries a similar meaning, so perhaps it has inadvertently entered the mix.

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2008-01-24 01:40:07

patschwieterman
Administrator

An excellent find—such a negative feeling deserves a negative prefix.

#4 2012-12-08 09:26:27

burred
Eggcornista

Here is a way to put the animal back into animosity.

There is a lot animalsity crowling in this political jagon. The country is slowly drifting into dictatorship.
News comment

This isn’t making anybody happy, really, step back from the scene before it turns into absolute animalsity.
Gamer spat

I’m stripping nude the brains of e’m honourables. ... You can see clearly their extended generocity printed on their bellies. ... When the politician roast s his butt on hot coals planted by his rival, then he remembers he had a community. Now he poisons the community with hate and animalsity to his deffence and vanish when they are into each other throats only to appear later claiming innocence.
Blog tackling daily real situations

#5 2012-12-08 11:12:51

kem
Eggcornista

Good gifts coming out of the stocking this year. A peal of Christmas bells for animalsity/animalisity (yes, a few more examples with the middle “i”).

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#6 2012-12-10 17:06:17

larrybob
Eggcornista

Another spelling:

fanfic: “That was some display of animalosity.”

Board footer