Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-01-24 16:36:41

curtisg

"cram packed" for "jam packed"

Spotted in an Amazon.com review:

In the interest of full disclosure, I have known both the subject of this book, and the author of this book, for many years. Having admitted to that, and at the risk of being labeled a shill, this is one terrific volume, cram-packed with photos and conceptual art, and an abundance of text that far surpasses standard coffee-table-book fare.

http://tinyurl.com/2kc5cx

Wow: 58,500 Google hits.

#2 2008-01-24 18:32:13

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "cram packed" for "jam packed"

I personally find this one interesting because I think “cram-packed” and “jam-packed” are both part of my own lexicon. But I don’t believe this is an eggcorn because new imagery isn’t being brought to the word. “To jam” and “to cram” are more or less synonyms, and “jam-full” and “cram-full” are also essentially synonymous. This reshaping basically extends parallels that are already well established. “Cram-packed” is not standard as far as the OED and MW are concerned, but the phrase just exchanges one synonym for another without altering significantly the mental image that’s conjured up.

Board footer