Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-01-31 13:12:37

irishsufferer

"mid evil" for "medieval"

I just read the abstract of a doctoral dissertation to be defended at an East Coast university in the next couple of weeks. The abstract included a sentence to the effect of “Student unrest in colleges and universities can be traced to mid evil Europe.”

First I laughed. Then I considered writing the author in order to save him some embarassment. Then I simply deleted the email containing the abstract. Then I realized that this had potential to serve as a case of “found in the wild” on the eggcorn database. Damn. With encouragment from others, I can try to track that abstract down in order to make amends for my hasty, habitual email deletion.

Any thoughts? Is this a simple case of over-reliance on spell check? Or, might the medieval period be characterized as occurring somewhere in the “middle” of recorded European history, and might it be further characterized as an era fraught with “evil”? Might all of European society, with its history of enslaving and abusing other peoples, be characterized as “evil,” and, hence, the middle portion of European history be considered the “mid evil” period?

#2 2008-01-31 13:19:28

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "mid evil" for "medieval"

This one’s been mentioned a few times already…

mid-evil by BobRay Contribute! 1 2007-09-12 07:49:43 by jorkel

Students’ accounts of history: eggcorns, malapropisms, etc. by jorkel Contribute! 2 2006-10-21 17:16:52 by jorkel

MIDEVIL (Medieval) by jorkel Contribute! 0 2006-10-19 07:31:25 by jorkel

It’s possible that the error that you located was induced by spell-checker as you suggested.

Board footer