Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-02-08 10:39:39

breakfastwithpandora

guffaw for faux pas

In a yahoo.com news article, online columnist Maggie Nemser offers gifts you should not get your Valentine:

11. Appliances. Every man has made this guffaw. Just because she says, “I need a new vacuum” does not mean you should buy her a vacuum.

I think she means “faux pas.”

Anyone ever see this one?

#2 2008-02-09 20:20:10

nilep
Eggcornista

Re: guffaw for faux pas

I’d never heard this.

Google does not reveal any instances of “commit a guffaw”. A search for “make a guffaw” yields four results. Two of them may have intended “make a faux pas”; the other two clearly intended “guffaw”.

I have noticed how I am with others… more compassionate, less judgmental, not afraid to speak my truth, not afraid to be me and when I make a guffaw.
www.sacredhunger.com

I cannot wait for the blonde to make a guffaw and say somethign not PC…
www.tmz.com/2007/02/13/the-real-life-will-and-grace/

Oh yes. I used to be a skeptic. I would scoff at the groundhog. I was even known to make a guffaw or two. I mean, seriously, I found it ludicrous that anybody could put any credence whatsoever in a rodent’s predicting the weather
holygrailpress.blogspot.com/2006_01_29_archive.html

He says he was a pro-life governor and there are several people in the crowd who make a guffaw sound.
blogprorealestate.com/2007/11/

There are (coincidentally) also four results for “made a guffaw”. Three might have meant “faux pas”; the fourth refers to “a guffaw steam group,” apparently a one-off usage.

For just a moment, I’d like everyone to heave a collective sigh and realize that someone, somewhere, this year has made a guffaw worse than your own.
socialanxietydisorder.about.com/b/2007/12/31/most-embarrassing-moments-of-2007.htm

I just laughed inwardly and wondered if I had made a guffaw but I didn’t know what else to do because the hostess was just standing there with a blank look on her face,
moriahjoy.wordpress.com/2008/01/12/pride-and-money/

Years ago, you did some kind of grammar(ph) special, made a guffaw of your own and I almost drove off the highway.
www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15370160

For those of you that have steam feel free to add me to your friends list, i’ve made a guffaw steam group for anyone who is a guffaw alumni to join it .
www.worldofguffaw.com/forums/viewtopic. … 71d1dee094

So, “make a guffaw” apparently exists as an eggcorn, but it is not terribly common (at least on the web).

#3 2008-02-09 20:30:56

nilep
Eggcornista

nilep wrote:

So, “make a guffaw” apparently exists as an eggcorn, but it is not terribly common (at least on the web).

No sooner had I hit “submit” than I began to reconsider. While “make a guffaw” exists as a reshaping, it is not necessarily an eggcorn. It may be that there is some overlapping imagery at work here – perhaps a social “false step” occasions a “hearty laugh” – but it’s equally possible that this is a malapropism or other speech error.

#4 2008-02-11 17:07:50

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Oh, I don’t know—I think eggcorn. They hear one word (faux pas) and think it’s another one, and they have a reason they think so.

It’s sort of a “nouning of a verbing” or something. The way “think” is a thought, from the verb “to think”: “guffaw” is a thing to laugh at, from the verb “to guffaw”

Board footer