Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-02-09 17:52:04

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'wreckloose' for 'recluse'

Watching ‘I, Robot’ tonight my ear was stirred from its complacency by the word ‘recluse’ having the stress on the first syllable. It sounded like ‘wreck-loose’ and it took me a few moments to work out what was meant ; I obviously am used to hearing the stress on the second syllable. I thought it possible that some folk might imagine a recluse as a loose wreck of a character, and it seems some do…

SHE HAS NO REGARD FOR HER CHILDRENS SAFETY OR HER OWN I AM PRAYING THAT SHE LOSES HER CHILDREN SHE IS NOT A MOTHER AT ALL SHE IS A WRECKLOOSE AND A …
www.usmagazine.com/britney_spears_52?page=2 – 53k – Cached

Truthful Fallacy:if i could i would be an unemployed wreckloose. did your parents lock you in the basement for the first 5 years of your life? ...
forums.myspace.com/t/3467450.aspx?fuseaction=forums. viewthread&PageIndex=456&SortOrder=0 – 84k – Cached

About Clinton’s recent trip to China bringing an entourage of lakkies, groupies and losers that would make Frank Sinatra look like a wreckloose. (sic. ...
members.tripod.com/~fasters/ati141.html – 14k – Cached

#2 2008-02-09 23:04:49

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'wreckloose' for 'recluse'

I like the way the transformed word “wreckloose” contains two imagery elements: “wreck” and “loose”. As much as this could be eye dialect, I’d sooner classify it as an eggcorn because of the way the elements combine so nicely. But I guess it all comes down to context.

#3 2008-02-11 17:08:54

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

did you all notice those “lakkies”?

On “wreckloose,” I vote eggcorn.

#4 2015-12-22 18:58:30

David Bird
Eggcornista

I thought I had a live one. In these hits, and in others on the web, a wreck loose can be a recluse, or reckless, or … a wreck that is loose.

“Leigh was trouble, a damn good fighter, amazing in tactics, but he didn’t like to listen. He was a wreck-loose, a flaw that would undue him and possibly those under his command. One day his luck would run out, and then the shit would hit the fan,” thought Jack.
e-book

He had two other sons, one a wreck-loose that never came around and another who had moved to Pennsylvania
ebook

“Yes, sir! Ahead, full speed!” the burly helmsman replied.
The ship roared to life as her main engines fired up.
“Sam, isn’t this kind of a wreck loose strategy? We’re rushing head on into the lion’s mouth!” Jack protested.
ebook

There is a game during Field Day designed to help an island inhabited by a wreck loose American actor, Marlon Brando, fit through a doorway.
TV synopsis

And it’s not because you’re being a bit of a wreck loose, because, I don’t know about you, but I don’t feel so much as though it is wrecking me.
relationships blog

Edit: Oh yes, being wreck-loose will undue one.

Last edited by David Bird (2015-12-22 19:00:32)

#5 2015-12-23 10:30:43

burred
Eggcornista

I want somebody who’s not scuttling about in his dilapidated shanty.

I want someone whose not so intense and not sooo highly emotional and a wreck louse.
Lonely hearts

A precious Christmas nonce. Here’s another singleton, this time for a devil-may-care partyer.

I enjoy being spontaneous and sometimes wrecklouse. I do enjoy outdoor activities as long as it has nothing to do with bugs
Cheatin’ heart

Board footer