Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-03-02 12:58:09

booboo
Eggcornista

"zero scape" for xeriscape

Here in Texas, it has become fashionable to landscape in such a way as to minimize the amount of water required to maintain it. Using native plants and other drought resistive species to replace thirsty St. Augestine grass provides another benefit for the owner: zero to meager maintenance (no more lawn watering and mowing once a week!). I often hear it refered to as “zeroscape”, but Xeriscape is the correct term for this type of landscaping. Here’s the def:

xeriscape
/zeeriskayp, zerr-/

• noun chiefly N. Amer. a style of landscape design requiring little or no irrigation or other maintenance, used in arid regions. — DERIVATIVES xeriscaping noun. — ORIGIN from Greek xeros ‘dry’.

Here are possible eggcorn examples:

Plant a zero scape garden which will allow a person to plan and plant a garden that requires zero maintenance. The Tea garden is an outdoor area for a …
www.essortment.com/scapegardenzer_regj.htm – 14k –

Suggested additional covenant 27(i) to read as follows: Owners shall install zero scape landscaping by the use of vegetation that is drought tolerant or of …
www.gallatin.mt.gov/Public_Documents/Ga … /S0085D098

Not to mention that although a zeroscape is low maintenence you might want a drip line feeding some of the plants water directly. ...
www.homeimprovementforums.com/showthread.php?t=543 – 39k

the outside has recently been painted white with new zeroscape landscaping, making the maintenance on this property very little so that you can spend …
www.357s2ndave.com/default.aspx?pp=207764 – 21k

Last edited by booboo (2008-03-02 13:01:29)

#2 2008-03-02 13:21:25

nilep
Eggcornista

Re: "zero scape" for xeriscape

I’m somewhat surprised that this one isn’t in the Database. I often see landscapers or xeriscape advocates punning on the eggcorn.

Many people confuse ZERO-scape with Xeriscape. ZERO-scape is perhaps what most people have in mind when you speak of low water use landscapes. Images of vast seas of gravel with one forlorn tree and maybe a boulder or two.
http://www.painteddesertlandscaping.com/xeriscape.html

Board footer