Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-03-06 22:17:17

klakritz
Eggcornista

'Patiently obvious' for 'patently obvious'

‘Patently obvious’ – 176k ghits. ‘Patientlly obvious’- 200+ ghits. I think it means something like, ‘this is obvious and I’m explaining it patiently to you.’

I’m not a huge-athiesm fan, but it seems patiently obvious that atheists can both have ethics and feel trapped into hiding their non-mainstream faith.
wonderlandkat.livejournal.com/243924.html

Bertie wins confidence motion by 5 votes… I would have thought it is patiently obvious that it is not a solid majority.
www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?t=26928

Immediate legal costs are obvious, immediate judgements are patiently obvious, loss of employees due to death or injury, loss of property or stock.
www.pib.com.au/riskmanagement2.html

It is patiently obvious that by lifting the ionosphere changes to the jet streams and other vital weather patterns will and do occur …
news.scotsman.com/scitech/Future-of-the-world-placed.3813781.jp

Musings on Self-Defense
Wait until they come through the door, making it patiently obvious that you had good reason to fear for your life.
www.chuckhawks.com/self_defense.htm

We all produced what food we had, and it was at once patiently obvious our supplies for 20 men and a girl were very inadequate.
www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/49/a8029749.shtml

#2 2008-03-07 14:02:33

kem
Eggcornista

Re: 'Patiently obvious' for 'patently obvious'

How do you keep coming up with these? You must hear more words in a day than I do in a month.

An outstanding eggcorn. Patently.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2008-03-08 01:00:03

shadowdrak

The last ones seem more like the intended meaning is “if you wait patiently, it will become obvious” or “over time it became obvious”

#4 2008-03-08 13:52:52

nilep
Eggcornista

klakritz wrote:

‘Patently obvious’ – 176k ghits. ‘Patientlly obvious’- 200+ ghits. I think it means something like, ‘this is obvious and I’m explaining it patiently to you.’

shadowdrak wrote:

The last ones seem more like the intended meaning is “if you wait patiently, it will become obvious” or “over time it became obvious”

Another nice find, klakritz. I wonder, with kem, whether you have exquisitely tuned ears,
or a tremendous amount of input.

Some of klakritz’s examples – especially “Wait until they come through the door, making it patiently obvious” – seem to indicate shadowrak’s “slowly become obvious” reshaping. Others may reflect klakritz’s “explaining it patiently” reshaping. Could the large number of results come from multiple independent reshapings?

[Update: Oh, I guess it’s not a very large number. Still, there could be more than one reshaping.]

Last edited by nilep (2008-03-08 13:57:07)

Board footer