Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2008-03-08 18:18:42

larrybob
Eggcornista

"tie you over" for "tide you over"

It’s a fairly common error. There are actually more ghits of “tie him over until” (1220) than “tide him over until” (877.)

I’m not sure if I can venture a rationale. Are there other idioms besides “tie one on” that use tie?

#2 2008-03-09 23:26:42

shadowdrak

Re: "tie you over" for "tide you over"

“tie over” is in the database. as for idioms with tie: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/tie ... is first search result on google for “tie idioms”. has among many others “fit to be tied” and “tie the knot”

#3 2013-12-10 07:44:05

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

FWIW, here’s the example I recently encountered:

Like, if that client going to pay on time or are we going to have to dig into the dwindling reserved yet again to tie us over?

#4 2013-12-10 17:18:32

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I don’t know about anybody else, but this one has always awakened musical associations for me: a tie instructs you to carry a tone over into the next measure (or what-have-you), so tieing over means enabling to continue. Fits well. But I always simultaneous recognized this as a distortion of tide over ; if someone thought it was the standard form and gave it this meaning it would be a clear acorn.
Does anyone have the notion of a tie in sports which may prolong play (into a tie-breaker of some sort)?
(PS this is the Database entry: took me a bit to find it.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-12-10 17:20:33)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer