Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-03-08 16:00:04

klakritz
Eggcornista

"O'Bama" for "Obama"

Some of the many (>100,000) instances of this reshaping occur in the course of discussing Sen. Obama’s putative Irish roots, and are playful and deliberate. Some were written on or about St. Patrick’s day. Others occur in the course of critical or hostile political commentary, and it can be hard to tell whether the name is misspelled as a deliberate bit of disrespect, or whether an eggcornish mechanism is involved. Some likely examples of the latter:

It is really frightening to see and hear the events surrounding Barack O’bama and his campaign.
tennesseans4huck.blogspot.com/2008/02/messianic-cult-of-obama.html

McCain, O’bama and Clinton scandals…
Michelle O’bama not proud of her country until her great husband running for pres. www.progressiveu.org/193627-black-america-obama

Hillary and Bill keep slamming away at O’Bama on the trail and if he can withstand that, he may be worthy of being President.
davecoxtalksalot.blogspot.com/2008/01/obama-and-whitest-day-ever.html

Senator Barack O’Bama is a United States senator from the majestic state of Illinois.
groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=groups.groupProfile&groupID=101262885&MyToken=5d733a5a-1b.

KMC Forums – Rumor about O’Bama
Has any of you heard that if O’Bama were to win the democratic nomination that he would choose Colin Powell as his running mate?
www.killermovies.com/forums/f11/t478323.html

#2 2008-03-08 17:00:27

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "O'Bama" for "Obama"

This reminds me of a time back in grade school when there was a major boxing title (bout)between Frazier and Ali, and the kids on the bus were asking everyone who they favored. I had no idea who either boxer was at that time, but I conjured up an image in my mind for at least one of them… “Ollie” (my misunderstanding of Ali) struck me as some chunky, buck-toothed, droopy-eyed guy who had no business being in boxing in the first place, so I said I favored Frazier! It was such a ludicrous imagining—possibly inspired by cartoon images, who knows?—but speaks to the power of words wedded with images. By the way, Ali won the title.

Last edited by jorkel (2008-03-08 17:06:38)

#3 2008-03-09 17:45:58

shadowdrak

Maybe Obama should embrace this spelling as a way of putting the kibosh on the constant muslim rumors… ever heard of an Irish muslim?

#4 2008-03-19 10:31:53

Cstaffa

Al-Qaeda in Ireland is going to get you for that, shadowdrak.
See Wikipedia.

Board footer