Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-03-10 12:28:15

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'breathstroke' for 'breaststroke'

Of all the swimming styles, or ‘strokes’, breathing seems easier while doing the breaststroke. ‘Breaststroke’, unlike ‘breathstroke’, hardly trips off the tongue either.

I don’t know any websites but front crawl just like breath stroke is all about … Breath stroke you breath on every stroke, front crawl every three to four …
www.menshealth.co.uk/chatroom/topic/310615 – 60k – Cached

Refines the strokes of freestyle, backstroke, and breathstroke and works to gain endurance. Advanced safety skills are taught. ...
www.savvysource.com/savvy/ campSummaryAction.do?ccId=3334 – 47k – Cached

I can comfortably run a sub 2hr 16miles and (don’t laugh) I can easily swim 2000+m breathstroke. I am a regular gym goer as well. ...
www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. php?p=194914&sid=c5146026a2f40d633e33606b34dfe8bd – 68k – Cached

Back in the 60s the swimmers hadn’t yet discovered the fastest way of swimming breathstroke so they swam the way you did, now swimmers prefer the new way, ...
www.sportscomet.com/Swimming-Diving/214957.htm – 11k – Cached

#2 2008-03-10 14:35:09

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'breathstroke' for 'breaststroke'

Peter, that’s brilliant. It would appear that the breast stroke is indeed characterized by a very prominent, abrupt breath of air during its execution. And, if I remember my swim strokes properly, the head stays submerged during the first stroking motion only to emerge for that breath in the second stroking motion. Could it be that swim instructors informally refer to the second stroke as the “breath stroke”? ...and that might indirectly lead others to rename the entire operation as the breath stroke? That would be my main theory.

My second theory is what I refer to as the “white meat” theory; Much as some choose to refer to certain chicken parts as white meat, perhaps some have also chosen to rename a certain swim style as “the breath stroke.” :-)

Last edited by jorkel (2008-03-10 14:36:50)

#3 2008-03-11 13:13:39

nilep
Eggcornista

Re: 'breathstroke' for 'breaststroke'

I can attest from personal experience that when I first learned the breast stroke, I thought it was the breath stroke for exactly the reason suggested in the first two quotations – it is relatively easy to breathe.

Board footer