Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-03-19 09:21:24

jorkel
Eggcornista

GLOW about (gloat)

Gloat carries negative connotations of boastfulness. But perhaps some who are accused of gloating think that they are actually being described as “glowing.” Glowing conveys an image of wholesome pride. So, when one later goes on to describe other people’s pride—in family or whatever—the utterers may think the proper expression is “glow about.”

Examples:

Janet Johnson | The Art of Marketing » Janet’s Network
... I sat across the dinner table from him in Newark, NJ – at the end of a blogging and social media conference – and listened to him glow about his kids. ...
janetleejohnson.com/category/janets-network/ – 29k – Similar pages
http://janetleejohnson.com/category/janets-network/

Professional-Lurker: Comments by an academic in cyberspace: ...
I’ve listened to him glow about his children and their accomplishments, and he has listened to me and held my hand while I talked about my families …
www.professional-lurker.com/archives/000740.html – 48k – Similar pages

Peter Barr Cormack – Rock and Roll Footballer! « The Tears o…
Those that do talk about him however usually glow about his skill and style – the way he played. Peter Barr Cormack’s way was the Hibernian way. ...
stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/peter-barr-c… – 70k – Similar pages

TheFA.com – Chops spells it out in black and white
Even though England lost 5-3 to a classy Azzurri, Chopra’s double meant a lot to his personal pride and manager Les Reed was positively glowing about his …
www.thefa.com/England/U20s/NewsAndFeatu … /2002/1… – Similar pages
http://www.thefa.com/England/U20s/NewsA … 2/11/32361

madKast—blog sharing made simple
Was with a friend the other day and he was glowing about his iphone. Now he’s had it for a while and was one of the Apple addicts who bought one on the …
madkast.com/search/default.aspx?pst=voicemail&fe… – 48k – Similar pages

More from RealGM
I made the “can he help us win games” comment in reference to you glowing about his ties to our area. Nobody cares about that and it shouldn’t be a …
www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=15145942&s… – 79k – Similar pages
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic. … cc9e6efa51

Last edited by jorkel (2008-03-19 09:47:19)

#2 2008-03-19 09:55:53

nilep
Eggcornista

Re: GLOW about (gloat)

This one has potential, but notice that in each of these examples a speaker is described as talking about a third person. I think “gloating” usually describes one’s own accomplishments or qualities. Rather than gloating, the writers here may intend to indicate people describing something in glowing terms, ergo glowing about.

Board footer