Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-04-01 06:29:50

garrett9

"Pre Madonna" for "prima donna"

As seen in The Sun readers’ comments – where else? The England football team is a bunch of over-paid pre Madonnas!

#2 2008-04-01 10:41:26

booboo
Eggcornista

Re: "Pre Madonna" for "prima donna"

Perhaps, after they’ve received all the worship due themselves, they will be full-fledged Madonnas!

#3 2008-04-01 11:46:51

nilep
Eggcornista

Welcome to the Forum, garrett9.

Pre-Madonna is in the Database.
prima donna >> pre-madonna
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/27/pre-madonna/

It’s also been mentioned in the Forum, though searching for it can be tricky. (You need the hyphen.)
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=1232

#4 2008-04-02 08:53:43

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Well, w/ Madonna currently living in England, I wonder if the “Madonna” referent has changed?

Instead of Joseph’s Mary, they’re referring to Guy’s Madge?

#5 2008-04-24 11:51:27

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

I foundsomeone intentionally using “pre-Madonna” to mean something a little else.

From the beginning of the post, it sounds as though she/he knows it’s not “prima donna” but is making a play on that sound

This was an answer to someone querying, “didn’t you mean ‘prima donna’?”

http://letters.salon.com/mwt/col/tenn/2 … l?show=all

Yeah a not so funny play on words

It’s a new category: pre-Madonna as defined by people who are clearly egomaniacs, and we all know it, but are somehow managing to hold it back long enough to get what they want.
Prime example: Madonna and Whitney Houston in the 1980s, Jennifer Lopez in the early 1990s, Bill Clinton during his first term, Ben Affleck when he could still act.
George Clooney’s on the verge of this. To me these are people who have somehow managed to fool just enough people into thinking they’re not totally egomaniacs, but rather just extremely self-involved, until they get on top and then reveal total diva/divo-like behavior proving they were, after all, complete egomaniacs.

This guy sounds like one of those to me. But, in the case of the letter writer, she’d probably do best to follow the advice of those who have actual experience dating a jerk. I just have to deal with guys like this at work and when I go out. I don’t have to live with them.—libertyson

Of course, it’s not completely clear if Libertyson understands the metaphorical use of “prima donna,” but I’m guessing.

Last edited by TootsNYC (2008-04-24 11:52:15)

Board footer